1 day in Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkultra69

Reaction score
The family and I will be heading to Germany Friday to visit friends and see the sights. I only have time for 1 day at Oktoberfest in Munich. We will be taking the train from Vilseck so we will be getting into Munich around noon, and staying until the last train out. For those that have been, what advice can you give for cant miss tents. Cant miss sights. Cant miss events. Cant miss Oktoberfest!!!:mug: Hope to see some of you there!!!

Never been there, but I bet its awesome... Have a great time!

Thanks. This is the first time out of the US, so I'm pretty excited. My buddy is going to take us for a day trip to Praug as well as a day trip to Neuschwanstein. We might even cross the border to Austria (really to just get a stamp in the passport;)) We will also have a week in Paris, so if anyone knows a good place for beer, I'm all ears.

Thanks. This is the first time out of the US, so I'm pretty excited. My buddy is going to take us for a day trip to Praug as well as a day trip to Neuschwanstein. We might even cross the border to Austria (really to just get a stamp in the passport;)) We will also have a week in Paris, so if anyone knows a good place for beer, I'm all ears.

gotta love the american dream to stamp the passport. I don't quite understand it.

I hate to burst your bubble but unless you are flying, you won't have your passport stamped.

No passports are stamped within Europe anymore...even if you fly within Europe. Nope, not Switzerland either. Sorry guys...you barely have to show the passport anymore anyway since almost all countries are part of the EU

As far as Munich goes, visit the Hofbrauhaus, Schneider Brauhaus, Viktualienmarkt, German Museum some of the churches around there (some date back to the 8th century) and the Englischer Garten (there are plenty of beer gardens). To be honest, 1-2 days at the Oktoberfest is plenty especially if you don't have a reservation for one of the tents.

If you want to drink at Oktoberfest, go to the tents first. You have to be seated to be served and the seats fill up early. If you go later in the day, you will be relegated to very long wait. If you're going on a weekend it's going to be brutal.

I went ten years ago and have been pining to return ever since.

Not sure you'd manage Prague as a day trip as it's a bit of a hike. But if you do go, I recommend returning heading south (do the Budvar brewery at Ceske Budejovice) into Austria--just for the scenery. Salzburg en route also. Neuschwanstein is a must-see but the interior is less impressive than the other castle down the hill (a must-see also). My personal favorite place in Munich is the Hofbrauhouse, although I've never been during Octoberfest.

Darn it, this thread is bringing back some fond memories. Wish I was going with you; you'll have a blast.

First post :fro:
If you come to munich on friday noon you should be able to get seats in one of the big tents. I went there last year and really liked it. Great beer, lots of stuff to do and plenty to eat and drink :) Just try to check out some of the big tents and drink from few Mass beer mugs:drunk: , but you can also get Franziskaner weissbier in the weissbier carousels outside. Personally I liked Paulaner festhalle the most.:mug:

Definitely check out the Haufbrau Haus in Marienplatz--it is a cultural fixture and one of the oldest breweries in Bavaria. As for the Fest, you definitely want to sit inside one of the tents and experience all of the dancing and music. Good luck and enjoy a litre of good Bavarian fest beer. Tschüß!

Sorry TAP, the Hofbrauhaus is not in Marianplatz...it's about 4 blocks away. I know because I have been to Munich AT LEAST 100 times...and I have always gone to the Hofbrauhaus whenever I went to Munich...;)...(I lived 40 miles from Munich for 4 years). :rockin:

The castle at the bottom of the hill from Neuschwanstein is the Hohenschwangau.

Prague from Munich is doable in one day, but not a return n the same day.

Ceske Budejovice (Budweis in German) is a great town with a large square in the center. I spent several weekends there. The first time in 1991 when it cost $.26 for a half liter of beer up to 2004 when it cost about $.53.

The beer is excellent and definitely nothing like the American self-proclaimed King of Beers. Gottse dank!!! (Thank God).

True enough, passport stamps are a thing of the past in EU countries. You can still get them for places like Ireland, Poland, Czech Rep, Turkey, etc.

Telling you the best thing to do or see in one day is not really being fair to yourself if you are also trying to throw in Prague (northeast of Munich) and the castles (even further southwest from Munich)...I would concentrate on the Hofbrauhaus, the fest, the glockenspiel show at 11 in Marionplatz, and the fest...( I know I said the fest twice...;))...I'd recommend you add 2 more days to really see the sites of Munich.

If you're going to Prague...add another 3 days. One for Plzn, one for Prague and one for CB...

Overall, just have fun!!

PROST!!

Thanks for all the advice and tips, Im sure I will forget it all and be completely overwhelmed as soon as I get there. :) Ill make sure to get some pics up when we get back. And hay, if anyone else will be there, Ill be the short guy with the hop grenade hat.
PROST!!

True enough, passport stamps are a thing of the past in EU countries. You can still get them for places like Ireland, Poland, Czech Rep, Turkey, etc.

If you're going to Prague...add another 3 days. One for Plzn, one for Prague and one for CB...

Unfortunately no more. Poland and CZ are part of the EU and I think Ireland got rid of it too when you fly in from somewhere in Europe. Not sure about Turkey.

I 2nd Pilsen in CZ. Definately interesting town and Prague anyway

We will also have a week in Paris, so if anyone knows a good place for beer, I'm all ears.

Spent a week in Paris before traveling to south France back in 2000. Sorry, but Paris is not a beer town (or at least didn't seem like it at the time). Although, if you drink wine, you can get $10 bottles over there that rival $40 bottles here. Make sure you drink plenty of Pastis - it adds a whole new dimension to cotton mouth.

Definitely check out the Haufbrau Haus in Marienplatz--it is a cultural fixture and one of the oldest breweries in Bavaria. As for the Fest, you definitely want to sit inside one of the tents and experience all of the dancing and music. Good luck and enjoy a litre of good Bavarian fest beer. Tschüß!

Agree - I've been fortunate enough to have been there a couple of times and it is great fun.

When I entered Ireland from the US they stamped my Passport and when I got to Italy they stamped it again even though I was coming from another EU country. This was in 2008 so things may have changed.

Well Im back, and what can I say Munich is a great city. Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips, and to share just a few of the over 2000 pics we took.

Oktoberfest
DSC_0195.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

My buddy and me at the Paulaner garden
DSC_0165.jpg

The Augustiner beer tent
IMG_1837.jpg

Our tabe in the Augustiner garden
DSC_0245.jpg

A dunkel at the Hofbräuhaus house
IMG_2190.jpg

A cool stein at the Beer and Oktoberfest museum
DSC_0485.jpg

This is a church on the way out back to the train
DSC_0254.jpg

We also made it out to Prague the next day
IMG_1939.jpg

I got to say, a Czech pills in Czech is great!
IMG_1962.jpg

When I entered Ireland from the US they stamped my Passport and when I got to Italy they stamped it again even though I was coming from another EU country. This was in 2008 so things may have changed.

There are 2 different things that affect passports, the EU and the Schengen zone. When you enter the EU from outside of it, you get a stamp if you aren't from an EU country. If you have an EU passport they just wave you through.

Within the EU are a couple of common travel areas, the Schengen zone being one and the UK/Ireland Common Travel Area being another. Once you are inside these zones there aren't really any borders/customs etc so theres no way to get a passport stamp because no one checks your passport. Germany and Austria are schengen so there wouldn't be a way to get a passport stamp between them, and I think Czech has joined as well. However, Ireland to Italy would get a stamp because they don't have a common travel agreement.

I'm really jealous about the trip to Muenchen, I was there last year and had to leave the day before Oktoberfest started

Awesome pix. You should have come over to the Lowenbrau tent in the front. That's where I was for two days. The beer wasn't as good as Augustiner however...

Glad to hear the tips worked out well and you had a good time :)

Back