Would you still brew if it became illegal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First they crack down on smoking "for your own protection"

Now they're working on the guns "for your own protection"

Only one letter left in ATF they haven't started working on "for your own Protection"

Do i think it will happen anytime soon....no.
Do I think they'll try it at some point.....yes.

I know some of you don't like smoking, or don't like guns, so you say "so what"....sooner or later they will get to something you like, and you'll say "what makes them think they can do that"

Who would have thought a limit would be put on the size of soda you could buy? Ask New York.

Yes! Well said!

I just had a lengthy conversation with one of my buddies about this the other night. Our conclusion was that we hoped that they brought back prohibition so we could open a speakeasy and quit our day jobs....

...this conversation happened over a beer or seven.

This was a thread awhile back and I remember it being shut down by the mods fairly quickly. I wonder what's different this time

I'm impressed already that you folks that live in a AL and MS are posting about it, especially the felony thing. A misdemeanor is one thing, but a felony will ruin you.

This was a thread awhile back and I remember it being shut down by the mods fairly quickly. I wonder what's different this time

Ya know......I understand why internet boards need mods, but in the end, they are like cops. Some do it to help the community, and some do it cause they were picked on in high school and are going to show people who has the power now.

In the last 4 years I've seen this country change in ways I didn't think could happen in my lifetime. I am thankful for Mr. Carter signing the bill into law giving us back the right that should have always been ours. BUT what the government gives, the government can take away. I think their first step would be to require a license to brew. The next step would be to heavily tax ingredients. Then they would tax us on the potential of what we could brew from the ingredients we purchased from government regulated warehouses.

Based upon that scenario, would you Pay the Tax? Or Get the Ax?

JW

In the last 4 years I've seen this country change in ways I didn't think could happen in my lifetime. I am thankful for Mr. Carter signing the bill into law giving us back the right that should have always been ours. BUT what the government gives, the government can take away. I think their first step would be to require a license to brew. The next step would be to heavily tax ingredients. Then they would tax us on the potential of what we could brew from the ingredients we purchased from government regulated warehouses.

JW

If I decided that the reward exceeded the risk I would likely continue without a license. I would also have a barley and hops garden.

So.....if you would still brew if it was illegal why wouldn't you do other stuff with homebrew that is currently illegal?

Well, if brewing is currently legal and you decide to sell your homebrew, which is illegal, you will likely spend some time in the federal pound-me-in-the-A** and come out with a felony on your record and a sore bum.

If homebrewing were to become illegal, the likely of getting caught and the punishment for doing so would likely be much less than the prior example.

Then again... the direction things are headed, you may get 20 years for brewing a batch of beer and only get 5 for murder.

I don't see a reason to close it unless an excessive number of people start sharing information on their real life illegal activities.

Tis a hypothetical question pertaining to an activity that is currently legal.

If home brewing became a illegal, I would stop homebrewing for a short time while assembling a militia and training them. I would of course enlist the help of patriot home brewers to fill the mugs of all the troops. So, can I count on you guys and gals when the SHTF?

If home brewing became a illegal, I would stop homebrewing for a short time while assembling a militia and training them. I would of course enlist the help of patriot home brewers to fill the mugs of all the troops. So, can I count on you guys and gals when the SHTF?

You can count on me!! Hypothetically, should it happen. :mug:

Well, if brewing is currently legal and you decide to sell your homebrew, which is illegal, you will likely spend some time in the federal pound-me-in-the-A** and come out with a felony on your record and a sore bum.

If homebrewing were to become illegal, the likely of getting caught and the punishment for doing so would likely be much less than the prior example.

Then again... the direction things are headed, you may get 20 years for brewing a batch of beer and only get 5 for murder.

You would think so but.....I can't find any evidence/cases to support that viewpoint. I just think it is funny/ironic that most of us would continue to homebrew if it was ever made illegal and view it as an issue of personal freedom. Yet we all abide by the current laws pertaining to homebrewing regardless of how archaic they are. After all if you are going to abide by laws governing how much you can brew, where you can take it, who you can give it to, etc... why wouldn't you abide by a law that prohibits homebrewing?

JW

Stop giving them ideas, I don't think they're bright enough to figure that out for themselves....

You would think so but.....I can't find any evidence/cases to support that viewpoint. I just think it is funny/ironic that most of us would continue to homebrew if it was ever made illegal and view it as an issue of personal freedom. Yet we all abide by the current laws pertaining to homebrewing regardless of how archaic they are. After all if you are going to abide by laws governing how much you can brew, where you can take it, who you can give it to, etc... why wouldn't you abide by a law that prohibits homebrewing?

I see where you are going and its a good question.

I can't really come up with a strong argument however, I would venture a guess that many who claim that they still would brew are just talking the talk but in the end wouldn't walk the walk if a harsh punishment resulted.

As humans, we are very responsive to reward and punishment. This is the primary way that most societies are controlled by their government. Generally, once the risk of getting caught outweighs the reward, "crime" goes down.

To look at it another way, if it were illegal to homebrew, would you still do so if the punishment was the removal of both thumbs and your gold member?

I am not at all a fanatic of government intervention but sometimes I just give in because I enjoy the little bit of freedom that still remains in our once great nation.

BTW, there are plenty of homebrewers that break the law, they are just smart enough not to bellow it out in public forums.

I see where you are going and its a good question.

I can't really come up with a strong argument however, I would venture a guess that many who claim that they still would brew are just talking the talk but in the end wouldn't walk the walk if a harsh punishment resulted.

As humans, we are very responsive to reward and punishment. This is the primary way that most societies are controlled by their government. Generally, once the risk of getting caught outweighs the reward, "crime" goes down.

To look at it another way, if it were illegal to homebrew, would you still do so if the punishment was the removal of both thumbs and your gold member?

I am not at all a fanatic of government intervention but sometimes I just give in because I enjoy the little bit of freedom that still remains in our once great nation.

BTW, there are plenty of homebrewers that break the law, they are just smart enough not to bellow it out in public forums.

I agree!! We all say we would continue to brew if it was made illegal but very few of us would. Even if there is little/no threat of punishment we are taught at a very young age not to participate in illegal activities...regardless if it makes any sense or not.

I agree!! We all say we would continue to brew if it was made illegal but very few of us would. Even if there is little/no threat of punishment we are taught at a very young age not to participate in illegal activities...regardless if it makes any sense or not.

Isn't if funny how so many of us blindly accept conventional wisdom.

Hell yeah I would.. Downloading music and movies of torrent is illegal but I still do it.. And getting grains shouldn't be hard cause say you want to make bread from scratch how else are you going to get the grain.. No way they are going to take all grains from the market

Hell yeah I would.. Downloading music and movies of torrent is illegal but I still do it.. And getting grains shouldn't be hard cause say you want to make bread from scratch how else are you going to get the grain.. No way they are going to take all grains from the market

Hops would be off the market. Growing your own would be the equivalent crime of growing marijaywanna. Yeast would be limited to bread yeast. Getting caught brewing beer would result in castration.

95% of us would stop brewing IMO.

If the government wants to control anything there are ways. It is unfortunate but controlling the masses is the only way to maintain civilization.

I would just make sure my garage door was lowered enough to conceal my activities at boil time.

Lets raise the stakes.

If home brewing was illegal and so was buying beer or an alcohol. Would you homebrew?

Back