My Weekend Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Just throwing my agenda out there to see if there's any major flaws.

Primary bucket - full of Nut Brown which will be 7 days old
Secondary carboy - empty

First thing will be to measure the NBA to see if it's finished then transfer to secondary. Since it's at 4.5 gallons I figure I can taste the sample to see whether watering it down to fill the carboy is a good idea. If not I'll leave the headspace and hope to get a CO2 blanket from secondary activity.

Second item is to throw Apfelwein into the primary (assuming I can figure out the complex instructions and ingredient list).

Third is root beer with my youngest.

Now I could sample the NBA and leave it in the primary, skipping secondary altogether. I know a lot of you fellas like to do that anyway. I'm just considering it as an alternative to too much headspace in a secondary. I know the AW fits into a 5G carboy from all I've read.

Oh yeah, most important task; crack open a bottle of my first brew at the 2 week mark. :rockin:

Now I could sample the NBA and leave it in the primary, skipping secondary altogether. I know a lot of you fellas like to do that anyway. I'm just considering it as an alternative to too much headspace in a secondary. I know the AW fits into a 5G carboy from all I've read.

Personally that's what I would do. Apfelwein takes 4 weeks or so to clear and you'll be able to see it better in the glass carboy, just give your NBA 2 more weeks in the bucket then bottle. Easier, too.

Back