Tartness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myleviathan

Reaction score
I just tried my cider after three weeks of fermentation (2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary)

There's quite a bit of tartness/tanginess. Does this generally improve with age, or is there an additive available to counteract it?

Thanks.

Yes it will change (improve) with aging. The sweetness comes back out with proper aging. Cider should be aged 6 to 12 months. Some don't believe it should be bottled before it's a year old.

My first FIL gave me some that was 19 years old and it was amazing. Waiting 19 years would probably test most of our patience quite a bit. :)

Yes it will change (improve) with aging. The sweetness comes back out with proper aging. Cider should be aged 6 to 12 months. Some don't believe it should be bottled before it's a year old.

My first FIL gave me some that was 19 years old and it was amazing. Waiting 19 years would probably test most of our patience quite a bit. :)

My God - 19 years! I can't help but look at my brew every day. It's been a long three weeks. Maybe when you have a bunch of different batches going it gets easier to be patient. I really can't wait until I have about 5 secondaries going, but right now it's just one. It's not good for me to have just one. I obsess over it. I stalk it. I sniff it. :eek:

It all burns off with age. I made some with unfiltered juice and after only 2 months in bottle it turned out smooth. Undrinkable and tart at 1, coming into its own at 2. I can't imagine 6 months or even...19 years? wtf lol. I will never see 19 years that's for sure.

My God - 19 years! I can't help but look at my brew every day. It's been a long three weeks. Maybe when you have a bunch of different batches going it gets easier to be patient. I really can't wait until I have about 5 secondaries going, but right now it's just one. It's not good for me to have just one. I obsess over it. I stalk it. I sniff it. :eek:

Honey, we all sniff it at some point. :D
It does get easier to wait when you have a lots in the pipeline and on the shelf. The easiest thing is to pull out the wallet and purchase enough fermenters and secondaries to ease the pain.
The nice thing about cider is it can (and should) sit for a long time in a secondary so you don't have to worry about having enough bottles right away.

I honestly don't believe that that was close to drinkable let alone good. 19 years, everything would be gone from it. I highly highly doubt you had a tannic structure to support 19 years. Hell the best whites aren't good for anything close to that long.

Cider is actually something that is best when fairly young.

Back