fresh vs dried mint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
i am going to brew a mint chocolate stout tomorrow.
the recipe calls for 1.5 ounces of fresh mint leaves in the boil and another 1.5 ounces in secondary(after soaking in vodka for a week)
i could only find dried mint leaves.
any ideas on how much i should reduce the quantities?
thanks,rod

I can't say for sure, BUT: I live in toronto and wild mint grows everywhere in the little ravines around here. If you were up for some exploring I'm sure you could come across a bunch. Good Luck. Dried herbs taste like crap compared to fresh ones IMHO. good luck

thanks for the thought, but i already bought the dried.
it smells great, but i don't want to make scope:eek:
maybe i will try an ounce in the boil and add the remainder in secondary as i see fit.

It is worth a shot. Are you going high OG or low OG? Might make a big difference on how much you want to use.

I just made a mint summer blonde. While you are probably going for a different mint flavor, I ended up putting 3/4 oz fresh mint leaves into the boil for 30 min. Makes for a great fresh/green taste that is not pepperminty at all. If you are doing a stout...or have already done it by now, I'd say follow the recipe. You can find fresh mint leaves in most grocery stores in the produce section where the fresh herbs are. Hope everything went well!

Back