What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These sound very different. The coffee one sound really neat. I'm not sure how it would taste.
Interesting. :) Cold brewed coffee doesn't have the pseudo-tannins in it. It's still definitely coffee, but it's an easier drinker. More like tea that way. No bite to the taste at all.

I sweeten it and use it as a replacement for coffee liqueur. IMO, it's a bit much to drink without sweetening. The caffeine also means it's an occasional drink, or it will keep you up in spite of the alcohol.

Make a little cold brewed coffee. If you like that, you'll probably like the wine. I like to keep a quart of cold brewed coffee in the fridge, then microwave a cup when I want coffee.

Bought myself a set of 6 beer glasses to add to all my standard pint glasses. Filled up two 5gal propane tanks, and a bunch of odds and ends at morebeer, including a new thermometer that will go in my keggle.

Cleaned equipment and insulated my home depot cooler mashtun.

Made a 2L starter for my brewday tomorrow, just tossed it from the stir plate into the fridge to cold crash.

Now I'm sitting back and RDWHAHB'ing.

Finished conversion of two coolers for a HLT and Mash Tun. Received my 1st all grain kit, an AK 47 Ale. Got the Darkstar burner and an aluminum pot. I still need a propane tank and a process. Next weekend I will brew my first all grain batch. Oh, Yeah! Feel like a kid going on his first date!

Leadgolem said:
Interesting. :) Cold brewed coffee doesn't have the pseudo-tannins in it. It's still definitely coffee, but it's an easier drinker. More like tea that way. No bite to the taste at all.

I sweeten it and use it as a replacement for coffee liqueur. IMO, it's a bit much to drink without sweetening. The caffeine also means it's an occasional drink, or it will keep you up in spite of the alcohol.

Make a little cold brewed coffee. If you like that, you'll probably like the wine. I like to keep a quart of cold brewed coffee in the fridge, then microwave a cup when I want coffee.

Ok I will do that. So drinking the coffee wine by its self is not a good idea is that what you are thinking?

Bottled my blonde. I swear, if I had 10 gallons in my ferm, I'd still only end up with 4 in my bottle bucket after leaving the yeast cake behind.

Cooling the priming solution for the Berlin Wheat. Went to clean & sanitize the bottling bucket,& found it had already ben done! Took apart the spigot & scrubbed it with Starsan,re-installed & sanitized the lid & bucket. Gotta clean bottling wand & tube though. forgot that one.

After being out of town for nearly 2 weeks, and having my wife babysit my lagering Bohemian Lager during the diacetyl rest, I checked on it last night after I came home. Apparently the temperature sensor fell out when I opened and closed the door, because when I checked it this morning it was in the early stages of freezing. Looks like I caught it in time, the freezing has subsided, no obvious signs of damage to either the beer or the carboy.

Finally, my favorite LHBS has its low-priced, but very good, base malt back in stock. I ordered online yesterday and today I picked up a 50 pound sack of GW pale malt premium 2-row ($29.90 - up $.40), a sack of GW Northwest Pale Ale ($29.50 - GW's try at a British type 2-row), a half-dozen pounds of specialty malts and 2 each packages of S-04, US-05, and Nottingham. Out the door for $84.50. I now have enough ingredients with the hops, yeasts, and grains I already had at home to brew for a couple of months without worry (although, now that I think about it I should pick up another pound of Magnum hops for bittering). It may be the homebrew, but I have a warm, fuzzy feeling in my tummy today.

Went to the LHBS. They were sold out of two yeasts I wanted (which they're ordering for me and will have next week) but other than that I'm set for an Ordinary Bitter, English Barleywine, and a Belgian Quad.

Then, after 8 months of near zero carbonation and a likely exceeded alcohol level, dosed the last of my Imperial Red with champagne yeast.

The swmbo and I hit The Four Firkins.

Mine

ForumRunner_20130615_212402.jpg

Hers

ForumRunner_20130615_212424.jpg

Ok I will do that. So drinking the coffee wine by its self is not a good idea is that what you are thinking?
Not exactly, it's nice by it's self too. It's just that I don't usually drink it by its self because the caffeine will keep me awake at night. Flavor wise, it makes a good sipper.

I bottled and am pasteurizing my banana wine right now. This stuff got good really fast. :)

Removed the stems on two 15 gal kegs and gave them a good PBW soak. Once the parts are back in stock I will order the fermenter conversion kits

Yeah,def don't want them stems & seeds. :D Cleaned the grain mill to crush 4lbs of grains for the Berlin Wheat freeby kit. Bottled the first one yesterday.
But gunna cut the Haulertauer flavor addition from 30 to 20 minutes. Trulemon crystal in the priming solution. I'm hoping for a smooth lemon spice kinda thing.

StompingClover said:
Went and picked up a couple cases of empty bombers to be filled this weekend. Then went and picked up a treat...

How was the Devil Dancer? Might pick some up Monday, been eyeing it on the shelf.

Nothing better then bottling a smokin hot blond with my 3year old son listing to Barney on the iPhone. Got to be a great Father's Day.

Mashed & sparged grains for the 2nd Berlin wheat. gotta wait for son to make Breakfast before going to work to start the boil. Darn mash temp started at 152F,then while wrapped up for an hour went up to 156F,1 degree higher than recipe calls for. not bad I guess. Gunna dry grains for later use. They kinda smell like banana bread.

Well,grains have been in a 200F oven for nearly an hour,pitched WY3056 on another OG1.050 wort 4 minutes ago. Brewday done,it's miller time!...better make that homebrew time! :ban: Nice to be done about 20 to three. Twice in a row I got the same OG on the same kit. Those spent grains ground into flour are gunna be great in pancakes.

Drove to my local Stone Brewery location, the South Park Company Store, and filled up a couple growlers of their new release, RUINTEN. I also bought 3 bottles of it, there wasn't a limit on growler fills/bottles! I can't wait to pop some open...

Back