Porter or Stout?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
Hello,
I made up this porter recipe from a mix of other porter recipes I've seen, then today I took it into the HBS to get supplies and he thinks its a stout. Who"s right???

9lbs pale 2 row
1lb caramel
.5lb cara pils
.5 chocolate
.5 munich
.5 crystal 30L
1oz tettnager
2oz fuggles
1oz cascade
wyeast 1028

I'd say without any roasted barley, it's a porter. Plus, you don't even have any black patent, which is pretty common in stouts as well. In fact, that looks like it would come out fairly light on the SRMs, more like a brown ale really.

It's a really thick brown porter. IMHO, stouts require some Black Patent and/or Roasted Barley.

I made a honeyed porter recipe a while back and really enjoyed it (the Midnight Oil recipe in my signature). Just be forewarned that the honey flavor will be VERY subtle, and it may cause your beer to be a bit thinner and drier because honey ferments quite completely.

Couldn't you just throw in, say, 1/2lb of Honey Malt instead of honey? I've yet to try it, but I've heard it creates a very noticeable honey flavor/aroma.

Torchiest said:
Couldn't you just throw in, say, 1/2lb of Honey Malt instead of honey? I've yet to try it, but I've heard it creates a very noticeable honey flavor/aroma.
I didn't know that there was honey malt so I just got a 1 1/2 lb honey. But I think I will try the malt in another batch, I love honey! Thanks for the tip!!!+:mug:

Back