Is it worth growing hops for only a year or two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I love farming and growing my own produce, so I am considering growning hops. From research and reading here it seems that container growing for hops produces a good yield only the first year or so. I am thinking about planting some but I am either going to be moving into my own place in a couple years or I am going into the military.

So I was wondering from experienced growers if I will get a nice enough yield in one or two years of hops growing to make that endevour.

What harm could be done? Sure give it a shot. Hops need to grow a couple years before they really start producing though. Some mature faster than others, Cascade is a good choice for getting 'some' harvest the first year.

Plant them. You might get some hops the first year, but at the very least, you'll have much stronger roots to plant at your new place. They die back every year and are easy to move when dormant.

As a confirmed "tree hugger"...its worth growing anything...you might not reap the benefits, but someone will...
Plant a acorn and in 200 years time there will be a mighty oak tree

Thanks for the input everyone, especially the cascade tip! I just love growing my own plants, but my main reservation is that I can't grow them at my apertment at school (since my research has told me that I cant grow them in doors particularly well) or if I go into the military in january. Both cases they will have to be grown at my permanant residence (parents house) haha

Is a bear Catholic? Does the pope poop in the woods? What kind of of question is that? Of COURSE its worth it. You can actually tell people you GROW the beer you drink, not just that you brew the beer you drink.

Seriously though, they are easy to move once they die back in the fall. And like someone said above, you'll just have much stronger rhizomes/crowns to transplant than you would otherwise have in the 1st year at your new place. Plus they do make good conversation starters with the neighbors. Neighbor, "what are you growing?". Me, "Hops". Neighbor, "Like that go in beer?" Me, "yeah, I make my own beer. That's not meth I'm cooking up in the garage." Neighbor, "phew, I was wondering what you're always up to in there."

Back