Oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brelic

Reaction score
I just want to clarify something with the experts around here ;)

I'm brewing an AG oatmeal stout on the weekend, and I'm just wondering what kind of oatmeal I can use. Quaker quick cook oats? Are they fine? Or is something else better? The oatmeal will represent about 3.67% of my grain bill.

Also, can I still do a decoction mash with oatmeal in the bill? I don't see why not, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Cheers!

I just want to clarify something with the experts around here ;)

I'm brewing an AG oatmeal stout on the weekend, and I'm just wondering what kind of oatmeal I can use. Quaker quick cook oats? Are they fine? Or is something else better? The oatmeal will represent about 3.67% of my grain bill.

Also, can I still do a decoction mash with oatmeal in the bill? I don't see why not, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Cheers!

Wow, you really are percise. I am guessing that is a typo.

It's a recipe from byo.com
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Big Sky's Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout Clone: The Replicator

Thought I'd give it a shot. This is my first stout.

I'm brewing an oatmeal stout this weekend too. I'm going with about 15% Quaker oats. After doing a bit of research, 15-20% seems to be a good ballpark for an oatmeal stout.

If you post your recipe, you will get some great input on how to tweak it.

Back