Will this work for Graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. First of all thank you for reading. Second of all thank you all for making these forums one of my primary sources for brewing knowledge. I'm hopelessly addicted now. So anyway...

I get what Graff is and the process of making it. My question is...if I toast oatmeal grains and use them in a partial mash...will the oatmeal alone give me additional flavor in the Graff or do I need other grains to do that? It is my understanding that Oatmeal adds to mouth feel primarily and not so much to flavor. It is also my understanding that toasting oatmeal at 300 ° F till they are browned will give off other flavors. Suggestions? Also is a clean fermenting Ale yeast best for Graff? Thanks all!!

Toasting oats will definitely add to their flavor contribution in the brew. Oats are subtle for sure, and toasted oats are still subtle but that may be exactly what you're after in a Graff. I've never tried making Graff, nor have I ever drank one that I'm aware of, but it sounds interesting and delicious - but I find that I like most fermented beverages. I would venture a guess that a clean ale yeast is the best way to go, let the apple do most of the talking (US-05 maybe).

st.pug is spot on. toasting oats caramelizes the sugars in the oat, which will give you a much different and more pronounced flavor than raw oats. I think this is an awesome idea. Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks!! That was very helpful and helped my brewing confidence for sure. I will post recipe and brew this week. Mwahahaha. Ha.

Back