dry hoppin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
so, boil whole leaf in a couple cups o water, and add to fermenter, or, just drop an once or two direct...or, steep in bag, drop bag in fermenter...or?????

i wanna do about an once of amarillo to my nearly done actively fermenting batch. whats your suggestion?

thanks in advance.
i have a day left before notti slows to a slow pulse.

Wait for the fermentation to slow, then just dump 'em in. They will settle out after a bit, and then you just rack off of the hops. If you want to be really fancy then you can put them in a bag or tea-ball, but meh.

If the beer is still giving off a lot of CO2 then the the CO2 can "scrub" the hop aromas out of the beer.

Absolutely don't boil the hops. They are apparently immune to infections that cause problems in beer. I think dry hopping was initially done to preserve beer - the wonderful hoppy aroma was just a side benefit.

just curious about others methods. i have only dry hopped with pellets, which make a mess, and dissolve right away.
i just added em after vigerous fermentation ended.... i do not seem to get the aroma i want however. wondering if there is a better way.

thanks

Like Kungpaodog said, wait until fermentation is done, completely. Give it time, maybe two weeks in the primary, then dry hop in a secondary for a week or so. That should give you the aroma you're looking for. What's your OG? And if it's whole hops, just toss em right in, no problem, and then rack in to your keg or bottling bucket.

Wait until after fermentation is complete (10 - 14 days), then rack to secondary and toss the hops in directly. No need to rinse, boil, or otherwise adulterate the little ones. Just throw them in there.
I usually dry hop for 7 days, but it is dependent on the recipe you are brewing.

I like to re-rack a brew if I'm going to dry-hop it, because a few times, when a brew in primary appeared to be totally finished fermenting, the addition of dry-hops caused a release of CO2 bubbles that pushed much of the hops onto the fermenter wall and drove the precious aromatics right out of the airlock. The re-rack will bring on the de-gasing, and then I'll add dry-hops a few days later. And as mentioned just toss them in no need to boil or bag them.

i do not seem to get the aroma i want however. wondering if there is a better way.thanks

If you keg, but a stainless tea ball and drop an ounce right in the keg. I guarantee aroma out the yazoo! I've even started cutting down dry hopping to 1/2 ounce since doing this.

I put the hops in the fermentor and reck right on top of em. No bag, boiling, or anything like that. I only use leaf hops for dry hopping though because I don't like the flavor produced by dry hopping with pellets.

thanks once again!

i see my wrong doing now. i just dropped in my pellets after usually three days, i use notti almost exclusily, and it ferments out real fast IME.

anyway, ill wait a week longer. maybe mid next week.

then drop in an ozer of amarillo, and see what happens.
i do not secondary at all.
so on second thought, taking into account what count barleywine said, maybe ill do a half once, and another half the next day?

and jacksonbrown, the og was WEAK @ 1.061. missed by alot. beersmith said 1.073 (which i did not want that high, just expected poor efficiency).. but, mashing 13.5 lbs in a 5 gallon cooler has got to be killin me!

im going to try 10lbs in my smash marris otter/simcoe this weekend and see if i get closer with a thinner mash...

anyway, thanks all.

If you keg, but a stainless tea ball and drop an ounce right in the keg. I guarantee aroma out the yazoo! I've even started cutting down dry hopping to 1/2 ounce since doing this.

I endorse this method! Great hop aromas, but I've left hops in a keg for too long before and it got a bit grassy (a few months). Basically, I say drink up :mug:

Back