Figured out what this batch tastes like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Not evey brew is wonderful. All but my first batch have been drinkable but I'd say overall 80% are very good and good enough to show off. But I had one batch (I call it #7, didn't even name it) that tasted like. . . . . "Home Brew".

it tastes like what most people THINK homebrew tastes like.

It was a Brown ale where I realized I did not have the hops I thought I had and substituted . . . poorly I guess.

So I've been drinking it (can't waste alcohol) and last night I realized THIS is the taste most people think home brew tastes like.

Now I understand why when I give one of my GOOD brews to people they are surprised at how good it is. It's because they are expecting #7.

Typically I give a beer and after the shock of not being repulsed they say "Rod, this is the best beer I've ever had, how can I buy some of this".

So now I have to figure out how NOT to brew what they were expecting.

I have to take #7 to my club and see if they can dissect the flavor so I won't recreate it.

ol' number seven will just be a learning experience. i've done almost 30 batches, and i'm still experimenting. some good, some great, some not so great. that's what makes this "hobby" so much fun.

that's what makes this "hobby" so much fun

So true. I feel ol' #7 was what home brew USED to taste like before quality hops and ingredients were available.

Ol' #7 is what I drink on Beer #3 for the night LOL when flavor is no longer needed.

I'm still learning, and each batch is a crapshoot. One thing that I think I've picked up on, though, is that once your basic process is perfected, the ingredients can vary quite a bit and still make good beer.

Like, if you ferment at correct temps, use correct yeast, proper sanitation, hot break, Chiller, oxidation, etc. Those things that don't change from batch to batch will produce good beer if done properly. Even if you add a bit more hops, or not enough, can still make good beer, just not the beer you were shooting for.

Those things are the things that I should have completely overcome by now, yet always seem to get me somehow. Need more organization and preparation.

Heck - at this point I say "I can't make a bad beer". Unless it gets contaminated. That one beer though, the ingredients or SOMETHING just did not go together.

It's like ketchup on ice cream. all the ingredients are fine but something did not blend correctly. I even have a brew I don't like but just because I don't like THAT style.

Ol' #7 tastes like something I brewed with a balloon in a closet 30 years ago.

I had a similar problem with brew #4. It was an Amber Ale and just tastes bad. Some of my buddies and I decided it tastes like beer mixed with yogurt and sourdough bread starter. I couldn't stand to dump it and couldn't stand to drink it. I have used it to make beer bread that is incredible. It will take quite a while to use it all up but I get 2 loaves out of a bomber. A little butter and this is great with my Cream Ale (batch #5).

I'm not sure if I'd put my first (and only, so far) brew the same way. The basic flavor is just perfect. I just messed up my bittering hops and it came out sweet. Like you took a very good brown ale and added a couple spoonfulls of sugar to the glass. :p

Sounds like "Old Stale Pail Ale". I made a Lite American Ale last year and it tasted just like a Lite American Ale! Then I asked myself: why did you do that? Truth is, I got a couple boxes of barley/rice extract really cheap, but I think I wasted my time. One of those brews that even an ounce of Cascades can't help.

I think every brewer has to go through a batch like that every now and then. It's all part of the learning process. I did the same thing with a cream ale last summer. Way, WAY too much corn, and it never tasted right.

I still drank the whole keg, as Brewer's Penance. Nothing wrong with drinking your mistakes.

You are a bastion of humility! We could all learn a thing or 2 from you!

+1 to that!! For once we agree!! If more people thought more of themselves the world would be a better place. So I try to think even MORE of myself to make up for the ones that think less of themselves.

I do what I can to help the world.

Back