To Throw or Not to Throw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Some of you may recall my handful of threads on the Saison I made back in late April. I've been letting it sit for a while to let the wild yeast/infection run its course. For a while, it's been complementary, but I noticed that there was a resurgence of an infection. No longer does it look like the milky, skin-like film, but something with a bit more mass, almost somewhat foamy with a large bubble on the side.

The thing is, it doesn't smell like Satan's anus. The taste, well, as it sat, had gotten increasingly acidic and tart. At this point, it's almost unpleasantly so...and I'm wondering if I should kick myself for having let the beer sit too long in hopes of letting it clear up before bottling. Should I just keep letting it sit, cut my losses or just dump the stuff? I'd hate to lose it, but I'm concerned as to whether or not that acidity will fade. The odor isn't too bad, but man, is it sharp. Are there other characteristics or info you need in order to make a vague diagnosis?

Either way, it looks like I may have to prepare myself to cry in my beer, or perhaps over spilled beer (down the drain). :(

Bacteria beers are like roller coasters, the flavor goes up and down a lot. I think you just need to let it sit for quite some time until it settles. It will inevitably have a tart/sour flavor but it may not be quite so harsh.

You know, I'm pretty new to brewing and have never made anything like a lambic/saison/etc, but I just have to say it must take quite a bit of guts to do so. Then again, maybe the uncertainty is the fun of it.

Back