Stout kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I bought a brewing kit and it didn't go well. I really like stouts so im hoping to find a ingredient kit for some type of snout. Any advice on what to try and where to get it?

So, I bought a brewing kit and it didn't go well. I really like snouts so im hoping to find a ingredient kit for some type of snout. Any advice on what to try and where to get it?

I suspect you meant Stout. Check out Northern Brewer. They were one of my favorites as a beginner.

Yeah, a moderator just messaged me asking the same question and asking if i want him to change it. Tired this morning and making to many spelling mistakes. Nothern Brewer... I actually found them of youtube a couple of days ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-chocolate-oatmeal-snout-126638/ This appears to be a good one have not brewed this snout before.

lol darn spell check making us say snout instead of stout.

I've had great luck with Northern Brewer's sweet stout kits. I have heard good things about midwest supplies as well as austin homebrew supplies. check out the vendor page and find something you like.

Yeah, a moderator just messaged me asking the same question and asking if i want him to change it. Tired this morning and making to many spelling mistakes. Nothern Brewer... I actually found them of face book a couple of days ago.

No worries buddy. I spelled Northern as Nothern in my response, lol. I like Northern Brewer mostly because the site is so well laid out. It's easy to navigate, awesome pictures and really describes what you get. Plus the extract is top notch. I've never had a bad experience.

What's the difference between Extract and brew in a bag?

Extract refers to powdered malt extract. Brew in a bag is where you steep specialty grains inside of a bag in your boil kettle. Usually this is done in sort of a partial mash fashion but some people go 100% all grain brew in a bag.

Surprisingly NB doesn't mention whether or not the recipe kit comes with yeast or not. It honestly fails to mention exactly what it comes with at all haha. But given the product reviews on the ones I looked at, I wouldn't worry about it. But if I had to guess, I would say they just include dry yeast.

My first was a Cooper's Irish Stout kit. It turned out pretty lame, so I did a load of reading and came up with my own recipe, which worked out really well. Haven't gone back to canned kits.

homebrewer_wes said:
What's the difference between Extract and brew in a bag?

Extract uses malt extract. Adding specialty grains to an extract batch provide color and flavor but very little in fermentable sugar. Steeping requires putting grains in a bag but that is not the technique that northern brewer is referring to. Brew in a bag (BIAB) refers to a technique to all grain brew, other than the traditional 3 tier setup. Many people go this route when the want to advance to all grain and don't want/have the money to buy all grain equipment or brewing space is an issue.

just kicked the keg on an extract brew that I got from Midwest. It turned out to be an AWESOME snout. I'd like to clone it so I can get ingredients locally and not have to pay shipping.. Turned out beautiful. Did I say I really liked it? :D

I have Northern Brewers Dry Irish Stout in the bottle. Excellent flavor and body. NBs Big Honkin Stout in a primary. These two extract kits come with steeping grains. Just ordered the Oatmeal Stout. The Oatmeal Stout is a partial mash kit. You are offered a choice of yeasts. The basic instructions with the kits are pretty good. Read them thoroughly and begin writing notes with your first addition to the boil.

Back