Dead horse need beating...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of telling points here.

Quoted for the intellectually/morally lazy:

Craft brewers are anxious to solve the theft problem because as much as 40 percent of their business is tied up in keg sales, triple the industry average, said Ken Grossman, founder and owner of Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

His company, based in Chico, Calif., expects to lose at least 3 percent of its kegs each year and often must wait months for replacements because it orders in smaller batches.

While only about 12 percent of the nation’s beer is sold in kegs each year, it costs brewers as much as $150 to replace each keg, so the thefts have a big impact. In the past few years, breweries have collectively lost about 300,000 kegs a year, Becker said, out of an estimated 10.7 million in circulation.

Just to stoke the flames a little,
Don't the people know that they could sell the kegs for twice what they will get at a scrap yard! i mean just look at how much un-modified kegs go for on e-bay. let alone if they wanted to cut a hole in the top.

Cheers

(Thwack!Twack! Die you stupid horse)

Interesting little organization there, orfy. But how do you manage to get them cheaper?

Orpheus said:
So we're agreed then! We must all 'appropriate' our kegs from BMC and leave the craft brewer's kegs alone!:cross:

Problem is that someone has to drink the BMC that is in there... Tho I Guess that is what college students are for..

Oh Yea and
beat_deadhorse.gif

SpamDog

If we have one more long drawn out debate about keg ethics, I'm going to get a couple more grey market samples and start beating people over the head with them.

Anyone want to talk about claiming church donations on tax returns when you're an atheist? Me neither.

No one blasts pot smokers, music stealers, or hooch makers. Hell, we even let Packer fans speak openly. Why is this issue so near and dear to some of your hearts?

Cheesefood said:
No one blasts pot smokers, music stealers, or hooch makers. Hell, we even let Packer fans speak openly. Why is this issue so near and dear to some of your hearts?

Because I can't stand dishonesty. Sorry if you think that's a flaw. I'm all for getting a deal, but theft is theft.

Wow keg stealing is getting Brutal!

Here you go Michigan is raising the deposits for everyone, I expect everyone else will follow.

Not saying that i condone thievery, but it makes not one bit of diference to me where you get your kegs, Black Market, Grey market, Purple Market, Not a lick of difference to me, so go out find you a deal and start cutting some metal! Game On!

Cheers
beat_deadhorse.gif

Sorry had to borrow that one, that is f'ing funny!

Bobby_M said:
If we have one more long drawn out debate about keg ethics...
Cheesefood said:
Why is this issue so near and dear to some of your hearts?

I don't care what people do.
My objections is that they post outright misinformation such as:

1. A deposit is a sale. They have my $30, so I bought it.
    Average $150 replacement fee. $30 doesnt begin to cover it.
  2. It doesn't hurt breweries.
    40% of their business tied up in kegs, with 3% losses. I wouldn't want to give that money up. Would you?
  3. It doesn't hurt the craft breweries if you only steal BMC kegs.
    It can take months to replace a keg. Shortages hurt everyone.
  4. It's not that big of a problem.
    300,000 kegs lost per year is a sizable problem that will get worse if SS prices remain high.
  5. They (the brewery) should just raise the price of the deposit.
    It most cases, the deposit is a balance of the interests of the brewery, the distributor and sometimes the state. The brewery is not able to do this on their own.

This MSNBC story dispells these myths.

Again. I don't care what people do as long as they don't use this board to substitute their opinions for facts in an attempt to justify their behavior.

Let's be honest though, the article never once even mentions homebrewers. The problem is not homebrewers using these kegs, it's shady characters exploiting a situation to earn a quick buck.

Orpheus said:
Let's be honest though, the article never once even mentions homebrewers. The problem is not homebrewers using these kegs, it's shady characters exploiting a situation to earn a quick buck.

So you're saying that the reason for the appropriation determines the morality of it?

CNN said:
In the past few years, breweries have collectively lost about 300,000 kegs a year[/CNN]

There are 500,000 homebrewers (est'd) in the U.S. A homebrewer uses at most 3, maybe 4-5 max if they keg in sankes. And only a small portion will use any at all.

Problem isn't us. We can still give the keggle back to the brewery and they will end up recouping about 1/2 the cost, between deposit and resale.

Cheesefood said:
CNN said:
In the past few years, breweries have collectively lost about 300,000 kegs a year[/CNN]

There are 500,000 homebrewers (est'd) in the U.S. A homebrewer uses at most 3, maybe 4-5 max if they keg in sankes. And only a small portion will use any at all.

Problem isn't us. We can still give the keggle back to the brewery and they will end up recouping about 1/2 the cost, between deposit and resale.

Problem is anyone that steals a keg, or anything else for that matter, for any reason.

Cheesefood said:
CNN said:

Only a few more years and we will all have a three keg set-up!!!!:ban: :mug:

Back