How crushed should cara/crystal malts be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might not be getting as good of a crush with the rolling pin. Has your OG been lower then what you wanted? If so this could be why. If not then the rolling pin is working fine. As a side thought can you get your grains crushed from where you buy them?

I'm new to all of this and did my 1 st batch last night and I have 2 questions?? One is I made a mistake at the end of cooling and applying the yeast I dropped my seal for my valve.... Pushed right through into the wort and I washed my hands twice and well had to fish for it! Will this infect my batch?? Second question is.... What is the math of doing the hydrometer o get alcohol %?? It started at 1.042 when the wort was cooled at 80 and it says the finished product should be around 1.011 to 1.013. How do you figure out what percent the alcohol would be?

There should be no difference in the milling of the crystal and the base malts.
+1

I'm new to all of this and did my 1 st batch last night and I have 2 questions?? One is I made a mistake at the end of cooling and applying the yeast I dropped my seal for my valve.... Pushed right through into the wort and I washed my hands twice and well had to fish for it! Will this infect my batch?? Second question is.... What is the math of doing the hydrometer o get alcohol %?? It started at 1.042 when the wort was cooled at 80 and it says the finished product should be around 1.011 to 1.013. How do you figure out what percent the alcohol would be?
you can get a more correct starting gravity with some calclulators. usually the default temp is set for 60 degrees. If the temp is different then your hydrometer will read incorrectly. Beersmith tells me that 1.042 at 80 should be 1.044 at 60 degrees. There are a surplus of gravity based ABV calculators online. Take a final hydrometer reading when the air lock has ceased bubbling for a couple days.
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/
http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

In response to the whole dunking your entire arm in to fish out the seal, you probably shouldn't have done that. That being said, there's a whole thread where people did things they shouldn't have done and their beers turned out fine.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...rned-out-great-96780/index50.html#post3740016
just relax, your beer should be fine. Just leave it alone and don't let it get too warm.

You can also calculate ABV by hand: (OG -FG) x 131
so 1.042-1.012 = .03 x 131 = 3.93% ABV.

In the future just start your own thread. This has nothing to do with the OP's question.

:mug:

Thanks all this is a great app... I didn't know how the thread thing works!!! Now I found out thanks all!

Latest posts

Back