sour...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punn

Reaction score
my cider is a bit sour, gonna add some apple extract during bottleing. we just racked it, 12 days after we started it, it just stopped fermenting 2 days ago. anyway, it taste's like apple, but sour........ so other than the extract is there any other way to sweeten it up?

you can use lactose. it doesn't ferment and can usually be found at any homebrew shop. Just boil some of it in a cup or two of water and dump it in.

-walker

yeah, artificial sweeteners can be used, but those always taste sort of chemically to me. It's almost like there is some nasty bitter flavor in them that is *almost* overpowered by the sweetness, but not quite.

-walker

Spelnda... it is actually made by adding chlorinating sugar. Chemically it is a pesticide.
Aspertame retards mental development and has other associated problems.
Sachrin is also quite poisonous.

If you want to add some sweetener, and don't want to add a chemical, go to your local healthfood store and pick up some Stevia. You can get it in drops or refined in such a way that it doesn't have the strange plant taste anymore.

Windaria said:
If you want to add some sweetener, and don't want to add a chemical, go to your local healthfood store and pick up some Stevia. You can get it in drops or refined in such a way that it doesn't have the strange plant taste anymore.

And here's what I have found about Stevia:

“Laboratory studies of stevia have found potential cancer and reproductive-health problems. Stevia depressed sperm production in male rats and reduced the number and size of the offspring of female hamsters. Until those concerns are disproven, stevia should not be used by manufacturers in soft drinks, candy, or other foods,” said David Schardt, associate nutritionist for CSPI.

I think I'd use the lactose. :)

-walker

That is what the FDA has used as an excuse for not approving Stevia for some time, but the fun thing is that the they have not done a study regarding Stevia's effect on the reproductive system. Those 'concerns' are taken from off-hand notes from other studies. In other words, they were studying any carcinogenic properties of stevia, and had 10 or so rats in their study, and the researcher off-handedly mentioned that one of the rats didn't get pregnant. They weren't trying to impregnate it, they never even mentioned if it did, etc, but it was an off-hand mention.

The reason it is held up is just an industry-protectionist thing in the US. We don't grow stevia natively, and a lot of artificial 'chemical' sweetener producers would lose a lot of money if their product lines became an anathema.

Besides, Stevia actually has the opposite effect on blood sugar that sugar does, in other words, for people who are diabetics... it helps them.

yeah.. i just like playing the devil's advocate. :D

Artificial chemical sweeteners can have bad effects, but have you ever looked at how MUCH of it you would have to consume to bring on these effects? You'd be spoon feeding yourself with the crap constantly.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be bad for you if not used in moderation. Hell, you can die from drinking too much water (the very substance that makes up 60% of your body).

-walker

Yes, but there is much question regarding whether or not the effects of the chemical ones is cumulative.

I also know that I have been made sick by too much aspertame once, and it was a very bad experience. I now refuse to buy the Light Ocean Spray... oh my word that was an aweful thing to go through. <shudders>

Anyway, why even bother with the chemicals when you can use something that is actually good for you? It just makes no sense to me...

Well... protien can be somewhat sweet, in some ways... just have to find the proper way to process the worm. At least it would be somewhat natural. <smiles>

i guess the more important question would be whether they ferment. If they do, the sweetness will be lost.

ok.. we've wrecked this thread pretty good now. My work here is done.

-walker

justbrewit said:
i don't have to live with ya!!! i won't get tired!!!! :D

she doesn't have to live with me either, but she does it anyway.

-walker

OK.. I really am done now. I think I'm supposed to be working.

Windaria said:
Spelnda... it is actually made by adding chlorinating sugar. Chemically it is a pesticide.
FYI, Splenda is pretty safe stuff, and is perhaps the safest artifical sweetener you can come across. If you don't like the taste, I can understand, but I just wanted to clear up that it is not toxic.

I'd be cautious about taking any website for face value, ie> DHMO FAQ ;)

It's understandable that there are those with allergic reactions to it. As artificial sweeteners go though, it is relatively safe.

i just wanna know how to make it somewhat sweeter, gonna add some apple extract at bottleing, was thinking of adding about 1.5lbs of honey to it now since honey is fermentable but still stays sweet...

yeah, sorry Punn... we ran your thread into the ground, but....

If you want sweetness and no further fermentation you can use lactose, stevia, or an artificial sweetener.

And.. Dihydrogen Monoxide? Isn't that H2O (water)? That's funny stuff there, LU, but read my previous post where I stated that it actually CAN kill you if you drink enough of it. :)

-walker

Sweeten it by all means but just be sure that you really think it's only sour (bitter/harsh) and that you don't mean vinegary. That's an altogether different problem that won't be helped by sugar.

bacteria can do this. alcoholic beverages that 'go bad' turn into vinegar (cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, malt vinegar, etc).

-walker

its not vinagry, its almost dry, could have been the yeast i used, i used a wine yeast. still smells sweet, like cider, but the sweetness is gone. so that is why i was leaning tword the honey.figured i could kill the yeast off, then add some honey, just bad thing is it will not carbonate then. but i need sweetness

It's the bacteria present in the air (And transmitted by fruit flies) that turns alcohol into vinegar. NOT GOOD

Wine yeast has a higher alcohol yeld. It'll take a lot longer to mellow out than ale yeast in my experience

sorry Walker my post crossed yours!

i'm just gonna honey it up. that is how a friend of mine does his mead, adds honey when he racks between fermenters, does not get much fermentation since the yeast is beat as it is

Good to hear your cider is okay then :) If you don't mind your cider flat, then I would encourage the honey route. Drop in a few campden tablets and your choice of honey; sounds pretty good.

The type of honey you use can provide a distict flavor, but I'll have to leave the advising of type and amount to the experts.

Punn said:
i'm just gonna honey it up. that is how a friend of mine does his mead, adds honey when he racks between fermenters, does not get much fermentation since the yeast is beat as it is

Go for it Punn, for sweetness then you can't beat something natural like honey

just gonna go with clover for the sweetness. actually gonna add some before killing the yeat off, always good for more alcohol, plus like i said honey ferments out somewhat sweet anyway.

some sort of time-delayed one-per-bottle campden tablet would be a neat idea I think. You could prime your beverage, toss in a tablet, and cap the bottle. Yeast would have some time to carbonate the brew, then the campden kicks in and kills them.

does anything like this exist? I would use it to make some rootbeer for my son (he's eager to brew some beer with me that he can drink, too.)

-walker

Walker said:
some sort of time-delayed one-per-bottle campden tablet would be a neat idea I think. You could prime your beverage, toss in a tablet, and cap the bottle. Yeast would have some time to carbonate the brew, then the campden kicks in and kills them.

does anything like this exist? I would use it to make some rootbeer for my son (he's eager to brew some beer with me that he can drink, too.)

-walker

Not that i know exists - i guess that's why soda streams were invented?

Back