DIY Hopback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
I have on order this

3ltrHopback by HDIr0n, on Flickr

it is a 3 liter pressure cooker with what looks like a tri-clover type lid. I plan on making a stainless braid/slotted pipe false bottom. I have ordered the dimple tool that greenmonti has used for kegs, and some staybrite 8 and stayclean to solder on a full and half coupling. I am hoping that I can use pellets (mostly) and whole hops when needed.

Has anybody done anything like this. I have only seen a few on here that has made a DIY Hopback.

Thanks,
-G

On ebay, I was trying to find something that can take pressure but was fairly small.
If you search for 3 Liter Pressure Cooker it should come up. It was the smallest thing
I could find for a reasonable amount of money. I am trying to come in under the $100+
for the Blichmann hop rocket, and still be all stainless.

Here with the strainer insert over the braided line

Untitled by HDIr0n, on Flickr

With some loc-line for now until I figure a better option for a input from the boil kettle.

Finished assembly now just have to wait for my stainless ballvalve and another camlock fitting

It is water tight :ban: now I just have to wait for the weekend to brew with it. Hopefully I will get all my parts in for my bottom drain MLT and finish my HEX for my HLT.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bought one and some parts from bargain fittings. Worked for about 5 gal and then it got stuck. I will be redesigning. Pics forthcoming.

KOELSCHKING said:
Bought one and some parts from bargain fittings. Worked for about 5 gal and then it got stuck. I will be redesigning. Pics forthcoming.

How did you have it set up as far as false bottom/straining the wort?

I am interested in updates, I have thought about a hopback like this. In my opinion, in order to get the most out out them you need to be able to seal it. This looks like it fits the bill.

sasky7777 said:
I am interested in updates, I have thought about a hopback like this. In my opinion, in order to get the most out out them you need to be able to seal it. This looks like it fits the bill.

I am a couple of weeks away from brewing a Pale Ale with a bittering hop addition, a small flavor/aroma addition, and the rest hopback hops. I have to drink
more beer to kill a couple kegs, I have been slacking lately.
I will take video if I can if not pictures too.

-G

I should be brewing this weekend and plan on using it. I will try to remember to take photos/video.

-G

i built one of these as well using the same pressure cooker. Thanks for the idea. I soldered my fittings on and did a bottom drain. Ill post pictures later.

Atl300zx said:
i built one of these as well using the same pressure cooker. Thanks for the idea. I soldered my fittings on and did a bottom drain. Ill post pictures later.

I didn't try to do a bottom drain due to the clad bottom. Pictures would be great.

oh it wasnt easy getting through the bottom. I tried dimpling the hole, but didnt get too far with it.

Atl300zx said:
oh it wasnt easy getting through the bottom. I tried dimpling the hole, but didnt get too far with it.

Yeah that was one concern of mine, and that I wouldn't be able to heat up the fitting enough to make a good solder joint. Glad to hear you got it to work though.

I tried it this weekend, and it clogged up pretty bad. I put 2 oz of simcoe in there. I initially tried putting it after the pump. So next time I might try it before the pump and see what happens.

-G

As someone who owns a hoprocket I can say it is worth going with Blichmann. I thought and read a lot about homemade, but after using the hoprocket both with 3 oz of whole hops for an IPA and a hip sack of rice hulls to help filter my Altbier I can say it is well engineered. Use a pump after the rocket and it pulls through easily.
I also have the fittings to use it as a Randall and the ability to seal and purge with CO2 will be useful as I plan on doing a keg to keg back and forth transfer with hops to simulate the Sierra Torpedo.
Just my thoughts, but as always I commend the DiY efforts Nd try it whenever I can do something comparable and cheaper.

As someone who owns a hoprocket I can say it is worth going with Blichmann. I thought and read a lot about homemade, but after using the hoprocket both with 3 oz of whole hops for an IPA and a hip sack of rice hulls to help filter my Altbier I can say it is well engineered. Use a pump after the rocket and it pulls through easily.
I also have the fittings to use it as a Randall and the ability to seal and purge with CO2 will be useful as I plan on doing a keg to keg back and forth transfer with hops to simulate the Sierra Torpedo.
Just my thoughts, but as always I commend the DiY efforts Nd try it whenever I can do something comparable and cheaper.

Yeah, I do think that the Blichmann is well designed, I just wish it wasn't $125. I think I screwed up by trying to pump the wort through it. Next time I will gravity fed it and pump after the hopback. I am going to give it a shot hopefully here in a few weeks. I think I going to try to get some stainless mesh and try to better filter the hops out. I also might look at putting them in a hop bag inside it.

-G

HDIr0n said:
How did you have it set up as far as false bottom/straining the wort?

I had a couple of redesigns until I found a good solution - that's the reason for delayed repy.

I bought a lint trap that goes on to the water drain hose of a clothes washing machine. Got from Lowes. Came in a two pack for under $5. Made of stainless steel. Looks like a chainmail condom ( imagine Vikings in credit card commercial saying 'what's in your wallet?). One end has a wire crimo. The wire crimp is not SS so I removed it. I double bagged them, folded the loose end over and attached the other end with a screw drive clamp. Perfect. No clogging. Low flow loss. No channeling.

KOELSCHKING said:
I am a free member. Don't think I can upload pics.

Wait. I think I figured it out. Will reply soon with pics.

image-1633366368.jpg

Awesome, I would love to see what you have come up with. I was working on a splatter screen made for cooking cutting that up and attaching that to my false bottom that I made. Now I am offshore and have been for about 2 months. Hopefully I will get that finished the next time I am home.

-G

KOELSCHKING said:
I had a couple of redesigns until I found a good solution - that's the reason for delayed repy.

I bought a lint trap that goes on to the water drain hose of a clothes washing machine. Got from Lowes. Came in a two pack for under $5. Made of stainless steel. Looks like a chainmail condom ( imagine Vikings in credit card commercial saying 'what's in your wallet?). One end has a wire crimo. The wire crimp is not SS so I removed it. I double bagged them, folded the loose end over and attached the other end with a screw drive clamp. Perfect. No clogging. Low flow loss. No channeling.

Here's pics

image-882908883.jpg

image-2195030453.jpg

image-3048023681.jpg

image-3245666370.jpg

image-1704447368.jpg

Since it's been 4-5 months since you updated, I thought I would ask if you had any further updates. How is it working for you now?

Back