preparing wort and canning for future yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello everyone
i was thinking about boiling up a gallon or so of wort and sealing portions in cans or jars, so when yeast starter day comes along all you have to do open the can/jar dump it in flask and pitch yeast.Anybody do this or hear of people doing it? cheers

Yes. I do it. I just bottle it (in some larger bottles), label it, and use it for a starter.

My last brew day, I took the last runnings off the mash and put it in containers that went into the freezer with the intention of using it for starters in the future. I'm not sure what the gravity was, but I'm sure it had enough for a starter.

Hello everyone
i was thinking about boiling up a gallon or so of wort and sealing portions in cans or jars, so when yeast starter day comes along all you have to do open the can/jar dump it in flask and pitch yeast.Anybody do this or hear of people doing it? cheers

You do know that have to pressure can wort, you can't just do the boiling water method right?

Back