4th Batch All grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BODWB

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help from
Beer and Wine International.
4450 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28029

They gave me this recipe
Safale US05 YEAST
German Select Whole Hops 5.7 Alpha oz
10# Briess 2-row Brewers Malt
1# Belgian Special-WP Malt
.75# pale chocolate
.25# American Roasted Barley

Waiting for it to cool now so I can check the OG and pitch the yeast.

I am not sure I understand what this recipe is suppose to be but I am a newb. Good luck hope it turns out great.

I am not sure I understand what this recipe is suppose to be but I am a newb. Good luck hope it turns out great.

LOL, me either, not sure either. I told the Beer Dude at the store I liked dark European style bears and he gave me the grains. Smells good so far, can't wait to taste it.

gravity is at 1.024 today yeast is kicking it even though i am using a frozen bottle of water to keep it cooler. temp was about 68

It looks like an interesting beer. I think it's a stout with a German flair.

Thanks, good to know. Will probally name it something once I taste it. Which brings me this philosophical question?

Name the beer before or after it's "born"?

That recipe looks interesting.

I found an article from BYO about Roasted Barley Tips From the Pros:Roasted Barley

It may be a brown ale.

I may have to try some of that roasted barley in my next APA/IPA

I would also suggest that you stop checking the gravity every two days. Leave it alone for a week to 10 days then 2 more days. Check the gravity then and leave it alone for another week or two.

That recipe looks interesting.

I found an article from BYO about Roasted Barley Tips From the Pros:Roasted Barley

It may be a brown ale.

I may have to try some of that roasted barley in my next APA/IPA

Awesome thanks! It sure did smell good making it.

I would also suggest that you stop checking the gravity every two days. Leave it alone for a week to 10 days then 2 more days. Check the gravity then and leave it alone for another week or two.

Ohh I can check it anytime I have a glass floating hydrometer with a temp gauge on it. I leave it floating and I can see what the gravity is at a glance. Checked it against a refractometer and it's consistent.

You have to be cautious with that because the carbonation the yeasties make could float the hydrometer to a false reading.

You have to be cautious with that because the carbonation the yeasties make could float the hydrometer to a false reading.

The device is very aerodynamic and has very little drag co-effiecient. Have been using it for many many years both in this hobby and the marine aquarium hobby so have a feel for how it works. Is it laboratory perfect, no. Does it tell me the information I need to know within a reasonable range, yes. I have checked it against a refractometer and am reasonably satisfied with it's accuracy.

BODWB said:
I have checked it against a refractometer and am reasonably satisfied with it's accuracy.

A refractometer is not accurate after there is alcohol in the solution. The more alcohol, the more innacurate. Its will always read high.

A refractometer is not accurate after there is alcohol in the solution. The more alcohol, the more innacurate. Its will always read high.

Right i'm not using one other than to gauge accuracy. I have used the device for about 20 years now. Anyways why is everyone so uptight? RDWHAHB!!!! lol

BODWB said:
Right i'm not using one other than to gauge accuracy. I have used the device for about 20 years now. Anyways why is everyone so uptight? RDWHAHB!!!! lol

Im nowhere near uptight I just shot that out there and since I learned it on here and not everyone knows it. They sure don't mention it when you buy one in a BREWING catalogue

Im nowhere near uptight I just shot that out there and since I learned it on here and not everyone knows it. They sure don't mention it when you buy one in a BREWING catalogue

Alright cool, yeah they sure don't wanna miss a sale. The floating hydrometers are the cheapest, I check them with other reference solutions that I have on a chart. They are usually right on or within .002 or .001.

I bottled the beer yesterday at 1.010. No sugars added to the bottles. Had one green and it was good for a green beer for sure.

I love this beer on my 3rd one. It's like I love my women.....Black, Cold, Head for days, and sweet after taste!

Back