Next on the list....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
Went to the HBS yesterday, and got an Irish Stout kit. My irish wife loves Guiness (go figure LOL), so she asked if i could make a stout my next batch. I can't wait, but i need to get my first batch out of primary first, though i'm thinking about using my bottling bucket as a primary, i'm just not too sure on the seal the spout and bucket have going on. I can always just go to the HBS again and buy another primary.

I've used a bottling bucket as primary before, but that's just because it's a huge bucket and has alot of space in case of excessive krausen.

Personally, I recommend having at least 4 vessels. 2 6.5+gal primaries, 1 or more 5-gallon secondaries, and a bottling bucket.

But if you're cheap:
Typically the lid seals are set up so that you can use it as a fermentation vessel, but you should check to make sure you have a rubber seal. I'm going to assume that your lid has a little hole with a rubber grommet, or at the least, a hole to accept a small bung. Given that assumption, here's a way to find out how good your seal is before you even add beer: snap the lid on tight all the way around. Insert the bung (if needed) & airlock. Make sure the airlock has water in it as is typical. Now, watch the airlock, and push down on the lid. If you get movement/bubbles, then you have a fine seal. If not...get a new primary. And if you don't have a hole in your lid, you can always drill your own. I recommend making it just big enough to accept the smaller (5/8") bungs. Make a practice hole on another piece of scrap plastic first, though.

However, like I said, I recommend getting at least another vessel. You'll want another for secondary conditioning/clarifying. You shouldn't be going from primary to bottling bucket unless it's a hefe.

LOL thanks for the info, but I think you misunderstood me. Currently I have one primary fermenter bucket, one bottling bucket and 2 glass carboys for secondary. I only have one active batch in the primary. The bottling bucket lid has a hole for the airlock, which is why since my batch in the primary is still fermenting i was thinking of using the bottling bucket, as a primary fermenter for another SECOND batch, that's all. But i kind of want to keep it as purely bottling, so I think I'm just going to go buy a spare primary bucket for situations like this.

I use my bottling bucket occasionally for a primary when my primary is full. No problem- just make sure you are really careful to get all the trub out of the spigot and sanitize it. No biggie at all.

Lorena

Back