Is this Vinyl Tubing from the store safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
Today I went shopping at the hardware store to pick up parts to make the T-siphon that's on this forum. I needed more tubing, so I decided to get it from the hardware store instead of at the homebrew shop. I asked one of the employees there which type of 3/8 vinyl would be foodsafe, and he replied that they all were, even though it said not to be used in an ice machine.

Is this safe to use for siphoning liquids? I'm not planning on using it for prolonged contact with the wort/beer.

Today I went shopping at the hardware store to pick up parts to make the T-siphon that's on this forum. I needed more tubing, so I decided to get it from the hardware store instead of at the homebrew shop. I asked one of the employees there which type of 3/8 vinyl would be foodsafe, and he replied that they all were, even though it said not to be used in an ice machine.

Is this safe to use for siphoning liquids? I'm not planning on using it for prolonged contact with the wort/beer.

They're fine for siphoning. The reason they say not to use it for refrigerator ice makers is that they are not rated for constant pressure, which could result in a leak.

The previously mentioned about pressure plus the soft tubing won't be able to seal in a compression fitting for an ice maker. They're fine for siphoning I use the same thing.

Back