First All Grain Pics & few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first all grain brew day. I started brewing last July, and have made 16 extract w/ steeping grains batches and 2 batches of Apfelwein. Decided to take the plunge.
My Brother in law and I made a 10 gallon batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.
Recipe: 16 lbs 2 row, 4 lbs Vienna, 1lb Crystal 10L. 2 oz cascade (60) 1 oz cascade (30) .5 oz cascade (15) .5 oz cascade (5) 2 pkgs nottingham.
Here are some pics:
Strike water coming to temp
Strike_Water.JPG

Draining BK to MLT
Draining_Strike_Water_to_MLT.JPG

Dough In
Dough_In1.JPG

First Vourlaf
First_Vourlaf.JPG

SG of first runnings
First_Runnings_SG.JPG

Drain to Kettle
First_Runnings_in_BK.JPG

Second Runnings
Vourlaf.JPG

First Hops
First_Hops.JPG

Chiller In
Chiller_In.JPG

Draining to Fermentor
Draining_Wort.JPG

Now, Questions:
I filled my MLT when the water was at 175* to let the mlt heat up. I doughed in at 165* and my temp regulated at 151*. I was shotting for 152* I didn't think 1* was a big deal. Over the hour mash we only lost 1*. Corrected for temp OG of our first runnings was 1.060. Did 2 batch sparges first at 180* second at 185*(that is how hot the water was when we were ready). OG of second runnings 1.038 third runnings 1.025. Pre boil OG was 1.035 against my target of 1.041. We ended up with 13.25 gallons of water, but we only wanted 12.8 gallons.
At the end of the 60 min boil we still had 12 gallons of wort instead of the 11 we were going for. The OG was 1.040 against target 1.049. Brewpal says I was only at 59% efficiency. Was our main problem the extra water and lack of boil off?
At the begining should we have boiled the 13.25 gal down to 12.8 gal before our first hop addition? Is there a way to figure what my OG and Efficency would have been if I ended up with the 11 gallons of final wort?
Even though the OG is low, I am sure the beer will turn ot fine! Next time I will measure my water more accurate!

Any suggestions on my low gravity and extra volume????

Nah, you know what to do. Your boil off is off a bit, just calculate for that next time. I'd stir the mash a bit more and if you get your grains milled from a shop, tell them to mill it twice; it looks like the problem came from grain not being milled fine enough. If you calculate your efficiency before you boil, keep it boiling until you feel that you boiled off enough water to start the 60 minute timer. Mill them grains better. I hand-mill my own grains and get 86-87% efficiency every single time.

I'm new to AG also so I very well could be WAY off on this.

My guess is over-sparged... you thinned out the runnings by sparging to 13.25 gallons, more than you wanted. Very possible you were fighting some efficieny issues also which, with the overage on final wort volume, reduced the OG. Also - what was your sparge ratio? Its possible to sparge to thick (less than 1.25 qt/lbs I believe) and reduce what you get in the end.

Here's what I would have done - just boiled down my starting volume down to where I would have wanted to start with in the first place, then taken an gravity reading again. Yeah, its a bit of a long way around but it'd get the job done. Once you reach the pre-boil volume you wanted to start with then you can adjust from there.

Good job on the pics and trying AG for the first time. I know I'm hooked!

Yesterday was my first all grain brew day. I started brewing last July, and have made 16 extract w/ steeping grains batches and 2 batches of Apfelwein. Decided to take the plunge.
My Brother in law and I made a 10 gallon batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.
Recipe: 16 lbs 2 row, 4 lbs Vienna, 1lb Crystal 10L. 2 oz cascade (60) 1 oz cascade (30) .5 oz cascade (15) .5 oz cascade (5) 2 pkgs nottingham.
Here are some pics:

Now, Questions:
I filled my MLT when the water was at 175* to let the mlt heat up. I doughed in at 165* and my temp regulated at 151*. I was shotting for 152* I didn't think 1* was a big deal. Over the hour mash we only lost 1*. Corrected for temp OG of our first runnings was 1.060. Did 2 batch sparges first at 180* second at 185*(that is how hot the water was when we were ready). OG of second runnings 1.038 third runnings 1.025. Pre boil OG was 1.035 against my target of 1.041. We ended up with 13.25 gallons of water, but we only wanted 12.8 gallons.
At the end of the 60 min boil we still had 12 gallons of wort instead of the 11 we were going for. The OG was 1.040 against target 1.049. Brewpal says I was only at 59% efficiency. Was our main problem the extra water and lack of boil off?
At the begining should we have boiled the 13.25 gal down to 12.8 gal before our first hop addition? Is there a way to figure what my OG and Efficency would have been if I ended up with the 11 gallons of final wort?
Even though the OG is low, I am sure the beer will turn ot fine! Next time I will measure my water more accurate!

If you want 11 gallons, I'd get the preboil to 12.5.

21lbs of grain x 1.5qts per pound 32 qts or 8 gallons strike water.
The grain keeps .5qt/lb so .5 x 32 is 4 gallons absorbed. First runnings is 4 gallons. You want 12.5 so subtract what you got and find you need to sparge with 8.5 gallons. Breaking that up into two @ 4.25 would be fine.

Alternatively you could have used 10 gallons of strike, drained off 6 gallons and sparged with a single amount at 6.5 gallons.

Thanks for the replies guys! I do appreciate the help. We realized after the fact that we should have boiled down to our desired starting point 12.8 gallons. I just wanted to know if everyone else thought that would have fixed it.

Bobby, my strike water was 6.6 gallons. of that I collected 4 gallons in the kettle.
I then tried to do 2 batch sparges of 4.9 gallons each. That is where I had the problem i think. my 20 quart pot would only hold about 17 quarts so we had to eyeball the difference. That is where we probably got too much water.
I ordered a ball valve today from bargin fittings to put on a 7.5 gallon alluminum pot. Once I "condition" it, that is what I will use to heat sparge water.
Also, Bobby, thanks for all the videos and info. You have helped me quite a bit in my homebrewing!

Back