artificial carbonation in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonehead

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to carbonate my 10 month old mead when i bottle next week... to be served on june 27

with this time frame and lack of details on whether its a sweet or dry mead, and what yeast was used, I would suggest force carbonating it in a 5 gallon keg. Then you could buy a beer gun, or make a mock-beer gun (which works really well) and fill the bottles that way.
There's a thread here I think in the DIY section called "WE don't need no stinking beer gun!"...it details the $5 DIY version, and tips like over carbing a little and pre-chilling the bottles to reduce CO2 loss while bottling.

Of course this all assumes you have a 5 gallon kegging setup and CO2.

It's super sweet and I used white-labs sweet mead yeast it's stopped at 13.5 %. I was wondering if I could just put those little co2 tabs in or something of that nature. I don't have a kegging setup or the 300 $ to put down on one so if any other method is possible I would like to shoot for it.

if its sweet, and stopped fermenting, then adding 'carb tabs' is just going to make it sweeter. Wyeast sweet mead does crap out around 14%.

you'll only get this carbed via the above method, or by pitching more powerful yeast, like EC-1118 or a Champagne yeast...which will mean it won't be ready to drink in a month.

I think this is just going to need to be a still mead man.

So you could buy one of those "Carbonator Caps", grab a 2L bottle, rent a CO2 Tank, borrow a regulator (or buy one and return it when you're done), get some lines and a Grey Ball Lock Air In for a corny and carbonate 2L (or 3L if you can find those bottles) at a time. Total investment: $45 ($22 for Carbonator cap, $15 for CO2 tank fill, $5 for air in + $3 for line)

carbfil2.jpg

EDIT: Skip the co2 tank and get some of those CO2 cartridges. Each one will only fill 1-4 2L's though....I think they're maybe $5 each?

carbon1.jpg

Back