Corny Socket size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take your corny into the local hardware store and see what fits. Should be 7/8", but be sure to get the deep star (12 point) so that it fits both the gas a liquid posts.

Two sockets, a 7/8" and an 11/16", both of the 12 point deep socket variety will fit any ball lock keg fittings that you will ever encounter. 7/8" and 11/16" box wrenches (which are 12 point) will also do the job. If you are talking pin lock then you will need to buy a Pin Lock Socket or make your own by modifying a standard socket.

A 12 point socket will fit both a 12 point and a 6 point fastener, but a 6 point socket will only fit a 6 point fastener. Just food for thought when deciding what kind of socket set to get.

Two sockets, a 7/8" and an 11/16", both of the 12 point deep socket variety will fit any ball lock keg fittings that you will ever encounter. 7/8" and 11/16" box wrenches (which are 12 point) will also do the job. If you are talking pin lock then you will need to buy a Pin Lock Socket or make your own by modifying a standard socket.

A 12 point socket will fit both a 12 point and a 6 point fastener, but a 6 point socket will only fit a 6 point fastener. Just food for thought when deciding what kind of socket set to get.

I have some that are 7/8" and some that are 11/16" and one that I haven't yet figured out. It's a 12 point star, but the 12 point deep sockets I have (both the 7/8 and 11/16) don't fit. I have to take that keg with me sometime and try out different sizes.

I had a huge lot of kegs at one point. Most of them were 7/8". It seemed the original cornelius kegs were actually 5/8" I ended up keeping the 5/8" ones since they were easier to get the posts off.

I have... ...one that I haven't yet figured out. It's a 12 point star, but the 12 point deep sockets I have (both the 7/8 and 11/16) don't fit. I have to take that keg with me sometime and try out different sizes.

I have one of those too... I got a 23mm IIRC deep socket to fit it, but I only have one and I was too cheap to buy the socket. I am going to trade out the post I think...

Random!

I have some that are 7/8" and some that are 11/16" and one that I haven't yet figured out. It's a 12 point star, but the 12 point deep sockets I have (both the 7/8 and 11/16) don't fit. I have to take that keg with me sometime and try out different sizes.

try a 22mm 12pt??....:confused:

try a 22mm 12pt??....:confused:

It's seems like it's a 23 mm, or so. I just haven't wanted to spend money yet on one keg- like chefmike said in his post. I have two kegs, now, though that are seemingly the same but different from the others. It's the gas post, so I've been just ignoring those two kegs and not using them. I either have to sell them, or get the darn socket, I guess! Buying the socket would be cheaper than buying and replacing the posts.

Back