Thermometer Hole in Fermenting Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been keeping my fermenting bucket in a bath of water with a fish tank heater to keep the fermenting temps up through the winter months in CT. I'm not convinced that the bath temp is reflective of the brew temp. I did some testing with just water and observed that the temp in the middle of my fermenting bucket was 5-6 degrees higher than the bath water, and if you add the heat of fermentation it could be another couple of degrees (I'm guessing). My theory is that because the bath water is exposed to the cool air, it doesn't loses more heat to the surrounding air than the covered and sealed fermenting bucket.

Has anyone ever put a small hole (maybe with a grommet) in the top of their fermenting bucket for a 12" thermometer to be able to monitor the temps as fermentation is taking place without opening the lid? Is there a better way? I've tried the stick on temp strip, but I'm not convinced it was too accurate.

I'm trying to make the most of my basic equipment to really nail my temperatures, especially for a saison I'm planning on brewing.

Thanks,
John

Not sure why you couldn't... I've heard tell of folks using digital thermometers with probes stuck in their brew during fermentation.

I brew in NJ... as long as I keep my "brew room" at about 60 degrees F, everything works out fine. This is my second winter of brewing and only had 2 bad batches... both were summer/early fall.

I'd say eyeball a drill bit a tad larger than your thermometer. Go to lowes and grab a grommet.

Just find something to plug the hole with when you aren't using it. Or just sterilize one of those 12"dial thermometers and leave it in there. I've been tempted to do that.

Well you're at it...make it a thief too! Who wants to take the dang lid off the bucket to get a hydro reading?....oh wait..did I say that out loud? ....Or just think it....Did they hear me?!?!

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Hydro readings are for suckers! That's precious beer! I'm kidding, but so far I've only felt the need to take a reading before pitching yeast and 2 (or 3 or 4) weeks later, when I bottle

I use the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer. It has a 12" probe. Just something else to sanitize...

My turkey fryer came with an "injector" as well....maybe a longer probe for taking samples...to the ml needed for the test jar. Could use the same hole as the probe thermometer. :off: :rockin:

Yeah,seems like the thermowell stopper would leave a large enough hole for the injector to get inserted. :D:drunk:

"Patent Pending"....I'm gonna need some "brewers grade" duct tape, a shot of Jagermeister ....and 1 of the best homebrews each person in this thread has brewed...

You really need a thermowell....

I have this "automated" setup using an Arduino reporting to COSM I made and documented in the DIY forum, so i can keep track of my ferm temps more consistently. Check out the thread if interested, total cost is about $60-70, not counting tools like soldering iron/wire.

https://cosm.com/feeds/83208

Its not that interesting now since both probes are just dangling in the air since I have nothing fermenting at this moment in my monitored bucket, i have another bucket going but i havent modded the lid to take the thermowell yet.

If you set them to 30 days you can see on Jan 3rd when i started my lager, and when i brought it in for a D-rest, then where it gets spikey again is where i took out the sensor and kegged to lager...never got quite as warm as i wanted but it'll have to do.

You can see even with my garage having 3-4 degree swings, it really didnt effect the beer temperature all that much.

Back