pounding headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspdfrk

Reaction score
just brewed my first batch it a blueberry wheat. just tryed it a week ago tastes good but 2 bottles pounding head ache. had some freind over last night. had a couple bottles and got a nother pounding head ache. could i have done something wrong in the brew process for this to happen?
thanks matt

What was the fermentation temperature? If it was really high (80 or so), you could have gotten some fusel alcohols, which would explain the headache.

did your homey get a headache as well?

Perhaps there is something in the blueberry brew that bothers you. Try a different beer recipe and see if you get similar headaches.

Drink some caffein. It constricts blood vessels in the brain and makes the headaches go away.

i really dont know what does it ,, i made some applewine
and brewed it really cold, mid 40s and it splits my head every time when twice that in whiskey would not

just brewed my first batch it a blueberry wheat. just tryed it a week ago tastes good but 2 bottles pounding head ache. had some freind over last night. had a couple bottles and got a nother pounding head ache. could i have done something wrong in the brew process for this to happen?
thanks matt

Maybe it's the wheat? I know that wheat beers in general give me a headache. I have no problem with other wheat products, but wheat beers always get me.
I stick to barleymalt :mug:

ive drank all type of fruit beers and all kinds of wheat beers so far this is the only one to give me the head aches. wines do the same thing to me thats why i am trying to figure out if its in the way that i brewed it

What was the ABV of the beer you brewed...most people don't realize that often their homebrew is more potent than the commercial beers they drink...

For example if you live in an area that has limits on the ABV of the commercial beer, like no higher than 4.5% and yours are 6, 7, 8, or more % Alcohol by volume and you drink several that could account for it....or occasionally we get people here that used to only drink light lager bmc's with a relatively low ABV and slam them down like water, find themselves in a totally different situation trying to pound back homebrews....

Other posibilites are gluten allergies, Yeast allergies, even rare but evidently in existance are hop allergies..

HEAD ON. APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAbAIpZG7II]YouTube - Three-Minute Long HeadOn Ad[/ame]

Fusel alcohol or high sulphur content produced by the yeast. Time to mix up your beers and only drink one of those at a time. Head on actually works well, but I hate the commercials.

i just followed the directions ecept for adding the blueberrys .what would be a good starting point then i wasthinking of makining a razzberry ale

I believe the standard line of thinking is 1...2...3

1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary
3 weeks bottle conditioning

If you do not use a secondary you can just leave it in your primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle.

Going straight to bottle in 5 days you did not give the yeast any time to clean up after themselves and for all the trub to settle on the bottom.

the next time i make an applewine i think i will use a large yeast starter and see if then helps to lower the hangover factor. i have read that more yeast can lower the yeast stress and the amount of fuse and other nastys

I get headaches from heavily hopped beers. I haven't gotten systematic enough to figure out if it's certain kinds of hops, or maybe yeast though.

Back