Pale Ale w/ WLP004 Irish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
According to white labs, WLP004 Irish Ale yeast can make for a "very interesting pale-ale." I recently have a yeast cake of WLP004 that I would like to re-use but about the only ingredients I have is 10 lbs of 2 row, some chocolate, and a handful of hops. Anybody ever created a WLP004 Pale Ale that can help me out with a recipe???

10# 2 Row .25# Choc Malt will give you a nice red color.

Whoops wait you wanted a pale ale......I suggest a SMASH Brew, Just use the 10# 2 row

I recently used Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast for a very hoppy American Amber (more of a West Coast Red). I have only taken a small sample off the keg so far, but it is very tasty. I can imagine the Irish Ale yeast would make a pretty good APA as well.

WLP004 will leave it a bit sweet with some nice esters and a hint of diacetyl. i use it in my irish rye stout (the only recipe on my pull-down so far.)

i would go with the 2-row SMaSH and choose some nice hops. mt. hood would be excellent.

EDIT: What hops do you have available?

WLP004 will leave it a bit sweet with some nice esters and a hint of diacetyl. i use it in my irish rye stout (the only recipe on my pull-down so far.)

i would go with the 2-row SMaSH and choose some nice hops. mt. hood would be excellent.

EDIT: What hops do you have available?

Ressurecting this thread because I have the same question. I want to use my soon to be available yeast cake. Thinking about a WLP004 SMASH with Briess pale ale malt. I want to nail down where the malt lies between plain 2-row and UK 2-row.

Available hops are:
Columbus
Centennial
Cascade
Chinook
Warrior
Target
Williamette

I could break the 1 hop rule and combine target and williamette

thoughts?

i'd go with willamette all the way...it'll lend itself to that nice malt complexity you will get from the pale ale malt and the yeast.

great for a malty english/irish/scottish type ale.

i'd go with willamette all the way...it'll lend itself to that nice malt complexity you will get from the pale ale malt and the yeast.

Agreed. With the WLP004 the fuggle-ness of the Willamette will work nicely.

What I didn't tell you is that I have an ounce or less of everything except cascades.

Columbus 1.00
Centennial 1.00
Cascade 2.90
Chinook 0.50
Warrior 1.00
Target 1.00
Williamette 1.00

Also found

Glacier 1.00
EKG 1.20

Can't get enough IBUs out of the Williamette's alone. The EKGs would work well, but they smell a bit stale. Still smell good when rubbed though.

I'm Currently working on a Pale Ale recipe using WL Irish. It came out pretty good , was definitely on the sweeter/maltier side, but in a good way. This doesn't really fit the ingredients that you have on hand , but here's the recipe anyway..

7.5lbs MO
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 90
1oz Cascade for 60
.5oz Willamette for 30
.5oz Willamette for 5
.5 oz Cascade Dry hop for 2 weeks in Secondary

That was the first time, Wasn't quite hoppy enough and needed more color, so now I'm trying..

7.5lbs MO
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 90
.5lb Crystal 120
1oz Cascade for 60
1oz Willamette for 30
1oz Willamette for 5
1oz Cascade Dry hop for 2 weeks in Secondary

I'll be bottling it this weekend, so we'll see what happens

Back