Liberty Cream Ale - Fermentation Start???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
I brewed up a Liberty Cream Ale last night (my first brew) and after cooling the wort I poured it into the fermentation bucket. I then took my stir spoon (which I washed and sanitized before doing this) and stirred the wort vigorously for a good minute or two. I had foam up to the top of the bucket. Then I shook up my tube of wyeast and poured it in and covered with the lid. I then shook it up again and put it to rest in the closet.

One thing I did do was pour more spring water into the wort after the pitch (I forgot to add the last gallon due to the boil off). Would hurt it?

Anyway, at 9:30 last night was when the yeast was pitched into the wort. At 8:30 this morning still nothing has happened. Did I mess this batch up?

You should be ok. Every fermentation is different and some can take 24-36 hours to start. You really should have made a starter with that liquid yeast. It will considerably shorten your lag time.

Do a quick search on the forum for starter and you will find a wealth of information. Also make sure you read this sticky as it would have answered a lot of your questions:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635

In the meantime, congrats on your first brew!

Back