cream ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
so i am doing my first cream ale, let me know what you guys think of this recipe and if there are any tips you have i would appreciate it.

8oz gambrinus honey malt (steep)

8oz flaked maize (steeped)

6# pilsen lme

1# golden light dme

.5 oz amarillo (60min)

.5 oz amarillo (5 min)

wyeast whitbread ale yeast

i plan on adding the dme to about 2 gal of h20 after steeping the specialty grains and then adding the rest of the lme about 10 min before the boil is over to try and avoid carmelization in order to have a lighter colored finished product.

yes, you will need to do a partial mash.

i made a cream ale recently that turned out AWESOME! took it to a party and everyone loved it. here's the recipe:

6 lbs of 2-row (i'll bag this seperately)

0.5 lbs German Vienna
0.5 lbs German Munich
1 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lbs Flaked Wheat

i used hallertau for bittering and saaz for flavor/aroma

i had the cream ale blend yeast (WLP080) which is a mixture of ale and lager yeasts and i fermented at about 65F

i think the vienna and munich really made the difference. it had just a slight malty background to it that i loved yet was still nice and crisp.

just add a pound or so of 2-row and reduce the LME by about 2 lbs (i think you have it too strong anyway) to make that into a partial mash

Back