American Pale Ale Fat Yak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.3SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
Refreshing, balanced and very tasty!
For the non-Aussies, Fat Yak is a popular 'gateway' ale in Australia, possibly now the biggest selling ale in the country. It's easy drinking and balanced with a light hop flavour and aroma. I started trying to brew something similar to Fat Yak to satisfy my many Fat Yak drinking mates. The plan was to get something light, balanced and easy drinking, but with noticeable malt and hop flavours. After many tweaks and changes, this recipe hits the mark perfectly. The sweet, malty aroma from the crystal malts dominates up front with a pleasant fruity aftertaste from the Nelson Sauvin hops lingering after. This is a very refreshing and sessionable brew at about 4.7% ABV.

Ingredients:
80% Pale Malt
5% Crystal 60L
3% Carapils
2% Crystal 120L
10% Cane/Beet Sugar

Mash for 60mins at 155F. Mashout if you want to.
60 min boil:
Centennial or Cascade @ 60mins to make total bitterness up to 25IBU's.
1/2oz Centennial or Cascade @ 20mins (for a 5 gal batch)
1/4oz Nelson Sauvin @ 20mins
1/4oz Centennial or Cascade @ 2mins
1/4oz Nelson Sauvin @ 2mins.

I also add whirlfloc at 15mins, and yeast nutrient at 5mins. Also, I brew with rainwater and add 1/2oz gypsum and 1/4oz CaCl2 per 15gallons of water.

Trust me with the low hop rate - the Nelson really shines through. With a hop like Nelson, I really believe that less can be more.

Anyway, brew it as is or make changes and let me know what you think!

Back