i got ripped off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjtabares

Reaction score
Lol Im at a local art/craft fair and there is a local honey stand and I decide to buy 1 lb of a dark wildflower and 1 lb of blueberry. I paid $30. I was excited to see a local honey I did not pay attention.

wow, typically the local honey is much cheaper than the processed stuff at the supermarket. this is very unfortunate. i hope its delicious

Just think of it as making a donation to your local bee keeper and getting a couple pounds of good honey as a gift for it, may make it sting a little less (pun not completely intended)

Or making a donation to your local hippie that opened up a business by selling a beekeepers honey at 300% markup.

I called a different place the other day about getting 5 gal, they said 4.50 a pond for wildflower. He told me it was organic pure raw honey and that's the reason for the price. I asked one of the people working the honey tent about 5 gal, they said I would have to email them to order but it would be $80. I figured they were mistaken and figured I would email since there were a lot of people around. I asked to buy the 2lbs and when she said 30 I can only imagine my face. I am thinking they may have thought I wanted 5 lbs when they gave me the price of $80.

How can they possibly know (or claim) that the honey is organic? Or rather, any different than what any other small apiary will sell you?

I picked up a 5 gallon bucket late last year that came out to $2.75 per pound... This is local wildflower honey and a late season harvest (most flavor, deepest color)... I'm waiting until I move before I dig into it and start making mead from it. So far it's just sitting there taunting me...

How can they possibly know (or claim) that the honey is organic? Or rather, any different than what any other small apiary will sell you?

I picked up a 5 gallon bucket late last year that came out to $2.75 per pound... This is local wildflower honey and a late season harvest (most flavor, deepest color)... I'm waiting until I move before I dig into it and start making mead from it. So far it's just sitting there taunting me...

Idk I was asking the same thing. GPS on every bee?

They're probably just making the claim because they are organic bee keepers, they don't use sulfa compounds or antibiotics on the bees to prevent disease, no carbolic acid to extract the honey from the hives, things like that, but then they really can only claim to be certified organic bee keepers.

Unless by some outrageous chance they keep the bees contained and only expose them to certified organinc pollen/nectar sources they can't 100% say the honey is unquestionably organic.

but they sure as hell can try.

These are all very unfortuanate stories. I mean, here in colorado I can find some aparies that sell, comercially non-wholesale for $3.00 a pound in bulk. Usually that is for wildflower or a non-varitial type of honey. I personally find that is still too much. I like it around $2.00 a pound in bulk for alfalfa and wildflower but a varietal I would expect for about $2.50 to $2.75 a pound in bulk. And by Bulk I mean that you are buying at least 30 pounds. Mostly it is in the 42 to 60 pound. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to buy a 55 galon barrel of honey, I am sure that I could get some good deals if I do some hunting and was willing to buy in that quantity.

But $15 a pound? or even $4.50 a pound? That is obvious markup and should be discoraged greatly, to the point of hanging around their booth and mentioning to people that come by what a bad deal that is and that their claims are impossible and highly unlikely to be getting "Organic, Hyporalergenic, (ect)" honey. I am not a bee keeper but since I have been brewing mead I have learned a lot about honey. For instance, If a bee keeper can't tell you what type of honey it is by plant and refuses to tell you it's wildflower then it is likely they don't know about their own honey and it is also likely that they either got the honey second hand and that it is doctored in some why. At the very least it is wildflower honey, ie non-varietal and not highly prized, but they want you to think it is so that they can get the mark up they are asking.

Matrix

Back