Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew32

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first lager and it has been in the lagering fridge for a week. I am going to do a diacytel rest today and want to rack it over to a secondary also. I want to make sure that it is as easy as it seems and that I don't miss anything. What I know to do is to put it at 70 degrees for a day and then put it back in the lagering fridge, is that it? Is it 24 hrs or how much time is most efficient?:drunk:

I don't lager but from what I understand is the rest is usually 2-3 days as the beer needs time to warm up, then goes back.

Someone may correct me if I'm mistaken

Bring it up to 70 degrees, but don't rack the beer or chill it until you are 100% sure it is finished. That means doing a gravity reading!

Now I am more confused, if you could give me a little more detail please. When do I need to do gravity readings.

Now I am more confused, if you could give me a little more detail please. When do I need to do gravity readings.

Ideally, you'd do one before the diacetyl rest so that you could do the diacetyl rest when the beer was about 75% done (about 1.020 or so). Then, after the diacetyl rest, to make sure the beer is done and to test for diacetyl. I usually extend the diacetyl rest to ensure fermentation is done, and taste for diacetyl also. If the FG is unchanging, and there is no diacetyl, I will rack and begin the lagering process.

Back