cleanest fermenting ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
looking to do a pilsner like brew, with clean and crisp flavors a key was thinking about a repitch of nottingham dry. i also got wyeast 2565 kolsch but that seemed to be a little on the fruity side even @ a 62f ferment was thinking about a larger pitch a little colder maybe? Any other suggestion welcome

wlp001 or us-05 but i think this 2 and notty is basically the same stuff

If you want a super clean, lager-like ale, I'd suggest nottingham dry yeast at 59 degrees, or for liquid pacman yeast (by Wyeast) at 60 degrees.

S05 throws a little "peachy" flavor at below 64 degrees. I think you'd like nottingham at under 60 degrees- it's very crisp and neutral.

Agree with the peachy/fruity flavor of US05 will probably go with notty in the lower temp range, got a brown ale with it cold crashing now :)

So pacman over notty, never used pacman if I can get it at at my lhbs what temp to ferment at in the low 60f ?

If your LHBS carries White Labs only, WLP090 (San Diego Super Yeast) is essentially pacman ;)

WLP001 is about the cleanest yeast I've used. I wouldn't say it's neutral but it's clean, especially if you can't keep something like Notty that cool. Notty will give you that crispness you're looking for but even down near 60 I've found it to be a touch estery.
US05 is tangy, that's the best I can describe it. Awesome for fruit beers and grapefruity IPA's but not what you're going for.

Back