Welcome to Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Okay. As the only posting member from Asia, I must talk about BEER.

Beer is a very important part of society here... seems silly but it is true. When ever I have dinner at my in-laws house (once a week) we start with a toast of beer, even if you're not drinking. Even though my mother in law prefers sake, toasting is always done with beer. At least one sip of beer is give to Everyone for the toast. My mom doesn't drink except when she's here. It is an engrained part of society.

Last weekend was our wedding. After the parties I got DRUNK with some friends (including my wife). My mother in laws only problem was the mixing... never drink liquor and beer, terrrible hangover.

fish

I was staioned in Misawa for a few years. Our Japanese couterparts would host us for the annual cherry blossom festival. They'd bring kegs and those dudes would get hammered!

I can't say that I noticed beer being a big part of their culture. No more than it is in other parts of the world anyway. Not counting Europe, anyway. :)

yeah, I remember that from when I lived in Deutschland. However, I found it comical in hat America (at least in college) the saying was reversed:

beer before liquor, never sicker.
liquor before beer, never fear.

-walker

Walker said:
yeah, I remember that from when I lived in Deutschland. However, I found it comical in hat America (at least in college) the saying was reversed:

beer before liquor, never sicker.
liquor before beer, never fear.

-walker

That has always worked for me, for sure. Maybe it's different with wine?

Back