Apfelwein Fermentation Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I know you can ferment Apfelwein at room temp, but my room temp is like 75-80 and I don't want banana off flavors. My other option is a water bath I am keeping at about 60* for a Steam Beer I made. Which would be a better options for a clean cider.

Lastly, does the fermentation produce any heat that might raise the temp of the water bath?

I've done apfelwein at temps in the low to mid 70s with no problem. It's prison hooch more or less, I wouldn't worry too much about the temp. 80 is probably pushing it though!

Fermentation produces significant heat, and yes it will raise the water bath temp. You'd have to ice down the water bath regularly to maintain that kind of temp. The thing that's important isn't the ambient temp around the beer (air, water) its the temp inside the fermenter, which will be higher.

I've done apfelwein with montrachet wine yeast in an ambient temp of 75+ with no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't worry about it, although I wouldn't do the same with an ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back