apartment brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
After having done some reading about the "how to" of brewing, I'm thinking about getting started. But...

I live in an apartment (a two bedroom), and I was wondering if anyone brews in an apartment or whether someone could tell me if it's a good or bad idea to do so. The two problems are that there aren't many spaces for it, which could be problematic with my girlfriend if it smells bad during fermentation. And secondly, I don't have access to cellar temperatures. The temperature in here is what the temperature is outside (during the warm months). Would diurnal variations in temperature negatively affect the fermentation?

Thanks in advance! (I'm also sorry if this was answered in a previous thread.)

As long as you have a kitchen, you can brew. As for space, you should be able to stick your primary in a closet somewhere - just make sure you have a blow off tube to reduce the chances of making a big mess. If temp is an issue, you can reduce it quite a bit by using a wet towel - just stick with ales.

As far as smell, that's pretty much gone after your brew day.

I don't think the fermentation smells would be a problem. Especially if you have vodka in the airlock. It is just a pleasantly mild sweet smell.

Last night I brewed an Imperial Stout which smelled up the house pretty good. I had the exhaust over the stove running the whole time. After I was done I went to take a dip in the pool and could smell the malt out in the back yard. :D Point is, your neighbors may be able to smell some of the heavier beers when brewing. Use your stove vent to help some of the smell escape the apartment.

You don't even need to hide the fermenter in the closet. You could even leave it in the corner of the living room, etc. Just try to cover it with a box, clothes, etc. to protect it from the light. And don't block the airlock. (But, yes, the closet is the best place because of darkness, and in case of blowout.)
The smell of my brews is pleasant, then again, i've not done a wheat beer yet :D
hopefully, you have a kitchen without carpet. hard floors are much easier to clean up after brewing, racking, and bottling.
I do extract in my apartment just fine. The temp in the summer time is around 75 (sometimes nearer 80) in my apt. I've had no issues with fermenting ales. I am too lazy to cool the fermenter, but i guess i would if i had to. :D
Now, from what i understand, if you want to get into all-grain brewing, you may need more room or go outside ???
Good luck!

If you're going all-grain, you usually need a propane burner, which is a definate no-no inside (CO). Doing extract with partial boils inside shouldn't be a problem; hey, at least you won't be lugging a carboy full of wort down the basement stairs like I have to! I'd just be a little careful of what else is in the closet, blow-off tube or not; goofy-looking shirts are one thing, SWMBO's best outfits are another (unless you want to risk having to take her shopping for an entire day).

But, you'll be fine.

Jack said:
After having done some reading about the "how to" of brewing, I'm thinking about getting started. But...

I live in an apartment (a two bedroom), and I was wondering if anyone brews in an apartment or whether someone could tell me if it's a good or bad idea to do so. The two problems are that there aren't many spaces for it, which could be problematic with my girlfriend if it smells bad during fermentation. And secondly, I don't have access to cellar temperatures. The temperature in here is what the temperature is outside (during the warm months). Would diurnal variations in temperature negatively affect the fermentation?

Thanks in advance! (I'm also sorry if this was answered in a previous thread.)
Brewing in an apartment is fine. I live on the seventh floor of my apartment building and do AG brews all the time.

Of course, if you plan on doing full boils, I would recommend you use a propane burner, meaning you need to boil outside. I use my balcony with no problems and no complaints from my neighbors - although they do know when I'm brewing.

For fermenting and conditioning, I ferment ales in the hall closet by my apartment door. I bought both a refrigerator for my kegs AND a chest freezer for doing lagers and have them both in my nice, roomy kitchen.

I also live in an apartment and even do AGs:) I use a two pot method and have loads of fun with it. Actually, come to think of it... since I have never owned a house I have always done brews in an apartment:) You dont have anything to worry about. Far as smelling bad... well... smelling 'bad' is a matter of opinion I suppose.

Back