Better Better Bottle Brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashe

Reaction score
I could not get my better bottle to come clean so I made this to help out.

I put two socks on the end of my carboy brush.

betterbrush.JPG

I then cut a piece of 3/8 tubing and put that around the metal part.

betterbrush2.JPG

I had to put a zip tie around the end of the socks so they would not come off when taking the brush back out. Also prewetting the socks helped getting them into the bottle.

I've done that with a single sock a couple of times. Must work OK because I haven't had an infection yet.

I've found that soaking with a full bottle of water/oxyclean for a couple of days and then pouring out all but about a half gallon or so and swishing it around upside down with a dishcloth works too.

I had been trying to get this bottle clean with oxyclean all week and some of the junk would not come off but this got everything out.

I took a piece of romex, bent the end over a dish rag, wrapped the rag around the romex, and firmly duct taped it in place.

That works very well for getting the TOUGH bits of krausen not even hot oxyclean will dissolve.

The insulation on the romex doesn't scratch the BB, and you can bend it however you need to reach the krausen.

After the hot oxyclean shake down, I drain all the water out and put a damp washcloth in. Shake the hell out of it and it's done. The key is that there must not be any liquid in there, just a damp washcloth. Any water will cushion the scrubbing action of the rag.

I took a piece of romex, bent the end over a dish rag, wrapped the rag around the romex, and firmly duct taped it in place.

That works very well for getting the TOUGH bits of krausen not even hot oxyclean will dissolve.

The insulation on the romex doesn't scratch the BB, and you can bend it however you need to reach the krausen.

I did the exact same thing but used a vinyl coated cloths hanger and a microfiber towel. Works like a champ.

Back