Wyeast American Ale II 1272 Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing an amber ale and splitting the wort into two batches and fermenting one with Nottingham and one with Wyeast American Ale II 1272. Any thoughts on the outcome for the 1272? Do you guys think that there will be an appreciable difference? I'll probably ferment both at the same temp, around 64. Thanks.

If you want an idea of the flavor profile get yourself a bottle of Anchor Liberty ale, they use this strain in that.

I have only used it once and it was quite a bit fruitier than nottingham or chico. HOWEVER, I accidentally ordered a propagator pack instead of an activator. I have no idea why they even still sell those things, but anyway, I only had time to do a single starter and I am pretty sure I underpitched. So with the proper pitching rate and fermented at 64 it would probably be substantially less fruity than my ale came out to be. It still pumped out a real nice ale, but it tastes more English than American.

It is a fantastic yeast. I make an IPA with it and it attenuates very well and has only a slight fruity flavor. It settles out nicely, too. I've used it for a pale ale, too.

Latest posts

Back