15 Rhizomes-5 Varieties-Trellis Config Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I've got a couple orders coming and depending on what they can actually ship to me, I may have 5 varieties. 4 of each of 3 types, and 3 maybe's, 15 total IIRC.

I have read all I can find about building trellises, but don't have a definite direction for my own yet. The chainlink fence top-rail sounds like the right strength and size, but the arrangement has still not settle into me yet. :confused:

I have lots of room.

What would you build?

First, there are several questions you need to answer;

1. How much space do you have to plant them?
  2. What's the shape of area?
  3. Do you want it functional or too look nice. (Decorative)
  4. How much are you willing to spend?
  5. Has SWMBO given you the reigns on this one?

unlimited room
unlimited shape
not ugly is enough
depends
not asking

First, there are several questions you need to answer;

1. How much space do you have to plant them?
  2. What's the shape of area?
  3. Do you want it functional or too look nice. (Decorative)
  4. How much are you willing to spend?
  5. Has SWMBO given you the reigns on this one?

16 rhizomes, 4 varieties, 4 in each box, 2 per side.

Hopgarden2008_005.jpg

Hopgarden2008_004.jpg

Hopgarden2008_003.jpg

I want to see more of that.

White painted top boards?

Dimensions of lumber used and LxWxH?

2x4's, boxes 8 feet by 4 feet, 3 boards high. looks painted but its not. the boxes are treated and the trellis isn't. the trellis wood are 2x2's with 1x2's on top. decking screws for everything. also used them to secure the twine. (check third pic) left the screws out an inch or so, to be able to wrap the twine around.

Hopgarden2008_034.jpg

Hopgarden2008_035.jpg

Hopgarden2008_001.jpg

Interesting set up. How easy is it to harvest the hops with all that trellis and twine?

I was going to go more traditional with some posts and guide wire with leaders down to the hold the bines.

unlimited room
unlimited shape
not ugly is enough
depends
not asking

The layout can be done in a single row or in round or square configuration. I like the idea of single row with the V's for the hops to grow up onto.

grow22.gif
grow31.gif

My setup the first time like the Teepee. Its was a square. Now my set-up is a Teepee with just two plants. Pushed up against the house.

I think my set-up is ugly now. Its PVC. I would use wood. My first set-up was made from 14' 4'x4'. I thought it looked good, my wife said it was ugly. See doesn't seem to mind the bent over PVC.

Now
2008_Late_June_003.jpg

Before
Boozin_Susan_Hops_013.jpg

The cost for my original set-up was less than $40. This one I have now had to be $40 as well. Obviously the nicer you make it the more $$$

CarlLBC has a good set-up.

Oppps I have a baby crying....

Glad to see another local grower HH! Hope you're growing something other than what I am for some future rhizome/harvest trades. I have one growing alongside my garage on strings to the roof, and three others in a teepee trellis tied to an old purple martin house stand. What I'm adding this year will be more on the garage and six more up power pole guy wires here and at a couple of friends' houses. The free-standing pole in the latest BYO(the one with the kangaroo on the cover) looks like something I would build if I didn't have what I feel is enough structure around to support hops for as much as I brew. If I could get some power poles and could sink them into some solid ground(my grade is about 2-3 feet above lake level) I'd just do a commercial style trellis with a pulley system to lower at harvest.

Back