siphon for Sabco False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isley

Reaction score
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to splurge and get the false bottom that Sabco makes. However, I am having a tough time justifing dropping the coin on the universal siphon that they make. Am sure it's nice but can buy a lot of copper and grain for that $$.

My thought for a siphon for this is to use copper pipe with an elbow connected to a coupling welded to the keggle wall. I would not solder the side of the elbow that would attach to the horizontal pipe that would come from the coupling. I would just use a hose clamp at this point to secure the elbow.

Does that make sense or am I just babbling? Any other suggestions?

How high off the bottom of the keg will I need to have the coupling welded in the keg to give me enough room to get the false bottom out after the elbow and vertical piece have been removed?

OR should I just say screw it, get the universal siphon, quit feeding the dog and don't eat out for awhile?

Thanks,
Mike

Well I've done exactly that. Well almost. I've got the 1/2" copper elbow soldered on both ends. But i put a union in-between the elbow and the bulkhead fitting. Then I can remove it and the screen with no problems.
In addition, I used a hacksaw to put a few slots in the bottom of the siphon tube to avoid a vacuum.

The only problem I have had with the SABCO false bottom is that I get a vacuum anyway and it compacts the grain bed. Though I don't think it's the false bottom's fault. I think I'm recirculating too much, too fast.

Don't forget to account for your underlet volume when calculating your mash water volume.

Rick

I did similar on my old brewery when I got the Sabco bottom. I made an "L" witha slip fit into a coupler that screwed into my bulkhead union.

First, the opening in the FB was about a 1/16th too small for the copper. Dremel grinder.

Second, to install the FB you have to "fold up", makes sense. But, to have a long enough short end of the "L" you need the FB to fold down. Counter productive when needin to support grain.

I got the whole thing to work but, wow what a PITA to install and remove for cleaning under the FB.

Lemme tell ya' the tri-clamp is a dream. No more futzing around to get the siphon out.

So, does the dog have a nice layer of fat on from winter?

But i put a union in-between the elbow and the bulkhead fitting. Then I can remove it and the screen with no problems.

Do you run into any issues losing the siphon with the union as the connection?

Don't forget to account for your underlet volume when calculating your mash water volume.

Good tip, I wouldn't have noticed that the first session or two.

I did similar on my old brewery when I got the Sabco bottom. I made an "L" witha slip fit into a coupler that screwed into my bulkhead union.
Lemme tell ya' the tri-clamp is a dream. No more futzing around to get the siphon out.

So, does the dog have a nice layer of fat on from winter?

Did you have to unscrew the coupler first before pulling the FB out?

Just found out someone in our club went the same route as what I was thinking so am going to wait to see it first before I make a decision on the Sabco Siphon.
Ha, yeah, the dog is rather thick, haven't gotten out much this winter so could probably skip a meal or two without much problem at all.

Thanks for the info guys.

I put my tube under my false bottom it's copper my pick up is about 1/4 from the bottom.
I think your going to have to solder your fittings I dont think a clamp will work.
Put your threaded fitting in you keg and snug it up then measure out to the center from the nut area subtract 1/2 inch from that and you should have your distance right when you put your elbow on...make your down piece..then put it all together dry in the keg and make an alinement mark at the elbow and the threaded end with a felt marker so when you solder it it points in the right direction when you snug it back up.

Pat

Do you run into any issues losing the siphon with the union as the connection?

I've got a pump mounted beneath the MT, but even so, I have run into some problems with making sure the union is aligned perfectly to avoid losing suction.

With the sabco Siphon I remember someone saying something about welding something so the couplings can be quickly connected/disconnected(he said it would be tricky also)... I have a Welded Bulkhead that sits flesh in my keg...Im not sure How I would install this.

Back