American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but I just don't know. They didn't have Marris otter extract back when I was doing extract beers. I don't know if it is 100% Marris otter or if there something else and I don't know how to convert that.

If you want to give it a try, just use enough of the Marris otter extract to get reasonably close to the estimated OG in the recipe. Should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you think I'd be better off using the Maris otter for half of the extract and something else that more closely matches the vienna and munich from the original recipe?

Also, I'd personally just use all marris otter extract, and leave out the amber extract (of course increase the MO to make up the difference). The amber will have more carapils or other caramel/crystal in it. You've already got the crystal malts for steeping accounted for, so I'd just stick with MO extract.

It's up to you. Vienna and Munich are base grains. You could do a mini mash with some Vienna and Munich along with the crystals. Or just steep some of them for some of their flavor - but you won't get much conversion out of them.

I think I'll go with your suggestion of using all Maris otter malt extract and some Vienna and Munich in my steep. Any suggestions on amounts for the Vienna and Munich?

Why not just replace the base malt with LME and do a partial mash biab with the remainder of the grain bill. That's what I did for this recipe and it turned out great. I used one can of light LME and calculated the remainder I would need for 2row and kept the rest of the grain bill the same.

I appreciate all the feedback, and am definitely open to any idea that fits my equipment setup and gets me closer to Yooper's recipe. I brew on a propane outdoor burner in a nine gallon pot.

CanAusBrewer - What would be your recommendation for ingredient amounts for your suggested recipe?

Thanks!

CanAusBrewer - What would be your recommendation for ingredient amounts for your suggested recipe?

Thanks!

So I went ahead and made it more complicated for the Yanks by converted to metric. I have to convert every recipe I get off this forum to get my head around the quantities.

Anyway I just did a 60 min BIAB mash at 67 deg C and added one can of Cooper's Light LME to the kettle at flameout. I use this method for all my beers by substituting the majority of the base malt with one can or two of LME I can convert most all grain recipes to brew full batch sizes in a smaller kettle. I had over 82% efficiency on this one and got an actual OG of 1.062.

Cascade Pale
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.475
Total Hops (g): 133.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.1
Bitterness (IBU): 55.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light (33.52%)
1.375 kg Vienna (30.73%)
0.900 kg Munich I (20.11%)
0.250 kg American 2-Row (5.59%)
0.225 kg Crystal 20 (5.03%)
0.225 kg Crystal 60 (5.03%)

Hop Bill
----------------
28.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
21.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
28.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
28.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I made a ba clutch of this with a large amount of marris otter, I'll find the recipe when I get home and post it up. I think I did wyeast 1450 too because I wanted it extra malty. One of my most well received from everyone at work.

I found your post that had your hop schedule, but it didn't show your grains/extract.

Looks like my grain bill was:

5# marris otter
3# Vienna
2# Munich

It looks like I also have
1# c40
.5# c 20
.5# carapils

But, I don't think there's anyway I would've put 2# of crystal in a 5 gallon batch. I remember the first 3 being about right though.

Hope that helps.

Bottled my first batch of this - wow tastes great flat and warm! Racked a gallon of it on 3/4 pounds of puréed roasted frozen beet as an experiment - we'll see how the final products compare...

Bottled my first batch of this - wow tastes great flat and warm! Racked a gallon of it on 3/4 pounds of puréed roasted frozen beet as an experiment - we'll see how the final products compare...

????Wow, I had no clue beets could be roasted let alone go well in a beer. Wish I could try it though!

????Wow, I had no clue beets could be roasted let alone go well in a beer. Wish I could try it though!

Heh, no idea what it'll taste like, but wanted to try it via splitting a batch to see what it does - beet is supposed to add a ton of color (pink/red) and a bit of earthy beet flavor - we'll see what it does (I'll post some tasting notes in a few weeks)...

I just finished my last bottle of this. Outstanding! The only difference is I added an extra pound of base malt (unsure of my efficiency) and I used white labs California ale yeast.

I was wondering if anyone has used galaxy hops in this? I recently had a Kona Big Wave and I like the hop taste, my understanding is its galaxy in the Kona Big Wave. just curious if anyone has and if so how did it come out?

Yooper thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this this weekend. Used homegrown cascade centennial chinook since I didn't harvest enough cascade for all additions. 1450 yeast.

Looking forward to it as all of yoops recipes are outstanding

I brewed this this weekend. Used homegrown cascade centennial chinook since I didn't harvest enough cascade for all additions. 1450 yeast.

I did a spin off of this recipe...very similar to the original recipe, but did pretty heavy hop burst and dry hop with 50/50 cascade & chinook. I always do two 5-gal batches side by side, and did this next to the original recipe. Both were great! Don't think you can go wrong with this one.

I did a spin off of this recipe...very similar to the original recipe, but did pretty heavy hop burst and dry hop with 50/50 cascade & chinook. I always do two 5-gal batches side by side, and did this next to the original recipe. Both were great! Don't think you can go wrong with this one. (FYI - I used WLP 007 on both).

What would you do?

This beer is awesome - brewed the all grain version several times. This last weekend brewed 10 gallons BUT only used hops for 5 gallons (yes - I am idiot!).

I have 1 oz of cascade I could throw in after primary ferm is done...

Just tried this yesterday for first time. Had some changes due to availability of ingredients when ordering (such as Crystal 40, Munich II and used San Diego Super Yeast). Also added 1/2 ounce of Simcoe to dry hop. Wanted to use liquid yeast and couldn't get WLP 001 and read that the Super Yeast is similar just ferments faster.

Did 14 days primary then dry hopped for 5 then about 24 hours cold crash. Is a nice beer but I feel like it has a slight aroma of trub, which I noticed more on the second pint. Noticed it too when I sampled it when kegging. Reminds me of when I empty a fermenter and the aroma you get from the bottom of the fermenter with the yeast.... Don't think I've noticed this before in any other batches and wonder if it is due to the Super Yeast. Other than that find the body a touch light for my taste, but that is likely a process issue of mine and certainly not the recipe. I'll see how it changes over the next few weeks as I work through the keg.

Thanks, Yooper!

What would you do?

This beer is awesome - brewed the all grain version several times. This last weekend brewed 10 gallons BUT only used hops for 5 gallons (yes - I am idiot!).

I have 1 oz of cascade I could throw in after primary ferm is done...

At this point I'd just throw in the extra 1 oz of cascade for dry hop to boost the hop aroma. Won't have the bitterness as the original for sure but I bet it would still be pretty good with the delicious malty backbone. Let us know what you end up doing.

I'll add my kudos / thanks for this recipe - took a 12 pack to a fantasy football draft yesterday and got lots of "wow!" comments... Thanks Yooper!

I suppose at this point it's rather redundant to say how good this recipe is, nevertheless...

Just transferred to secondary/added dry hops yesterday and the hydro sample was delicious. Been on a bit of a hoppy beer hiatus but mmmm

Although many others have already commented on how awesome this recipe is, I feel that I need to post to thank Yooper!

I used Wyeast 1056. I also did a FWH addition instead of the 60 minute. The result was dangerously tasty. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411000786.151279.jpg

I just looked back at the picture I posted and the lighting is horrible. This beer isn't that dark. Here is a pic with better lighting. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411170100.797433.jpg

I followed the original recipe except the cascade pellets I used were at 10.1 so a bit more IBUs, which is fine by me. All in all a great beer 1411356729230.jpg

I took a gallon out of primary and put it on roasted beet, blended then frozen, for about 10 days before bottling - the end result was, um, interesting! Prettiest beer I've ever made (one pic I'm holding a mag light behind the glass). Smells and tastes like a dry beet soda drink - almost can't tell its beer, and definitely doesn't resemble the orig Yooper recipe at all! Cool experiment though and can see using beet again - a lot less would add a complementary flavor to some styles...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411780099.780398.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411780125.547953.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411780149.640526.jpg

My brother in law found 6 of these bottles hidden in his pantry. Yay for me!! They are exactly one-year old. (I finished all of my half of the batch about 2 months after bottling, so his forgetfulness allows for interesting unintended aging experiments...)

Surprisingly, the hop presence is still very prevalent. Not quite as much as a bottle I had at 7 months old, but this has aged quite well, for a beer not really meant for aging. Need to do this one again soon! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413145227.236648.jpg

I love this grain bill and have done it a few times with different hop combinations. I've juicing it up a little bit into the ipa category this run with cascade, chinook, and citra. Pick some hops you like and roll with it.

Brewing this right now, with some modifications: Subbing Centennial Type for bittering, using my own leaf hops for flavor and aroma. Added 1 lb two row, noting that some have missed OG.

Brewing this right now, with some modifications: Subbing Centennial Type for bittering, using my own leaf hops for flavor and aroma. Added 1 lb two row, noting that some have missed OG.

FWIW - I did this for my first AG (BIAB) batch, moving up from extract then PM's. Way overshot my estimated gravity and got very high efficiency. I'm sure it depends on your setup. Good news is, it was perfectly delicious at nearly 2 pt's ABV higher than I expected!

My gravity came out right with the extra malt. But I'm only about 4 batches into a new system, outdoor burner and new pot. I'll work out the numbers over time.

My gravity came out right with the extra malt. But I'm only about 4 batches into a new system, outdoor burner and new pot. I'll work out the numbers over time.

I too added an extra pound of base malt due to unknown efficiency with new gear. I beleive it worked out well even though I was way over the target gravity, the beer was delicious. I will be usuing this recipe as a base or start and modifying based on my whims at the time. I feel its a great balance and blend of malts. Next batch I will be using El Dorado hops, I recently had a Stone IPA 18th year anniversary edition that uses El Dorado exclusively. I felt that most of the malt flavor was very similar to this recipe with a change of hops I'm sure it will be close to that beer.

Back