Shops and bottles to look for in Chicago.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickmania

Reaction score
I know these threads show up a bunch and I tried doing some searches but they flat out suck on my phone. So here goes.

I will be in the Chicagoland area (Downers Grove/Naperville area) for a few days over Christmas time. I probably won't have time to visit any breweries due to my schedule which sucks, but hey...it's the holidays.

ANYWHO, I grew up in this area but moved away before I turned 21 and I would love to try some of the brews from around here. I was wondering what beers should I be looking for in the shops around here? Also what are some of the stores that you would recommend? I'm planning on bringing about $100 for myself when we go and would like a good range of stuff to bring back to SC with me. Any input will help and is definitely appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. I'm not really looking for winter/Christmas beers exclusively. I like most beer styles as it is, but IPAs are definitely a favorite.

Binny's normally has the best selection around, but if you make it into the city West Lakeview Liquor is great. My favorites are Pipeworks, 3 Floyd's, Half Acre, Two Brothers. Also I've been looking forward to trying Spiteful Brewing's GFY Stout. If you get lucky occasionally people have been finding BCBS around. Ratebeer has a good function where you can search the best beers available or made by state.

Thanks fellas! I'm familiar with a fair amount of the brands and stuff in the area, just not specific beers they make. Since I don't have a chance to sample a lot of the stuff they offer I'd like to make the most out of this trip is what I'm saying, really.

Say I had to get one bomber from each/most. What would you pick up?

Binny's normally has the best selection around, but if you make it into the city West Lakeview Liquor is great. My favorites are Pipeworks, 3 Floyd's, Half Acre, Two Brothers. Also I've been looking forward to trying Spiteful Brewing's GFY Stout. If you get lucky occasionally people have been finding BCBS around. Ratebeer has a good function where you can search the best beers available or made by state.

This is good info. Seeing as how you are from SC founders and jolly pumpkin would also be good to look for, but founders is more about porter and stouts and JP is all about sours, not the IPAs you seek. Binnys will have tons of stuff, try and pick up som pizza port IPAs.

If your flying into midway the best place to go is archer liquors, they like to specialize in the local stuff and sell by the bottle so you can get a lot of variety. Plus the usually have zombie dust in stock.

3F Dreadnaught, Zombie Dust, anything else
2Brothers Cane & Abel
Half Acre Daisy Cutter, and Big Hugs if you go to their brewery/bottle shop is coming out on Saturday
Founders Red's Rye is awesome in addition to their Porter and Breakfast Stout
Pipeworks whatever Unicorn or Ninja beer they have out now

Those are all my go to beers

It's a bit of a drive from Naperville but if you want to cross the border to Indiana I recommend visiting the Three Floyds brewpub. I'm flying in Christmas morning and can't wait for the day after Christmas.

Thanks a ton guys! We actually get Founders down here so if I see something we don't get here in hick town I'll probably pick some up.

I didn't even think about jolly pumpkin, which is great because I absolutely love sours. Not looking for IPAs strictly so keep the funky stuff coming!

What about Goose Island? I know they have a big barrel program. Or do they only sell those at the brewery?

Also, is Zombie Dust usually available year round? Or is that seasonal?

Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout is available now. I would recommend picking up a four pack. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned Revolution. Their Anti Hero IPA is one of my favorites.

Thanks a ton guys! We actually get Founders down here so if I see something we don't get here in hick town I'll probably pick some up.

I didn't even think about jolly pumpkin, which is great because I absolutely love sours. Not looking for IPAs strictly so keep the funky stuff coming!

What about Goose Island? I know they have a big barrel program. Or do they only sell those at the brewery?

Also, is Zombie Dust usually available year round? Or is that seasonal?

There may or may not be any GI barrel stuff on shelves, they just did a big release on the coffee and cherry rye versions of bourbon county, which sold out quick and but you may find some bourbon county or a sour or two. I know my local shop here in Indiana still have some of each, but none of the variants. As for Zombie Dust it is year round, and its going to be really hard to find some but they did have a stack at Binny's South Loop a week ago.

Awesome fellas! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bunch of this stuff when I'm up there! I definitely feel more informed thanks to you guys. I'll let you guys know what I end up grabbing when I'm up there.

I also know my uncle is taking us to The Publican downtown too. That should be pretty stinkin awesome.

It's nice to visit the GI Clyborn location just to compare the local beer to the distributed beer. It's a short walk to the pub from the Clyborn Brown Line stop.

There is a Binny's right in DG with a pretty good selection. 3F will be hard to find, though. I didn't see any BCBS last time I was there, either. But I definitely second the suggestions for anything Pipeworks as well as Revolution.

Goose Island has quite a few Bourbon Barreled beers out right now. If you can find Night Stalker I'd recommend that one. It is retired but I can usually find a few that are still for sale. Usually have been bottled for almost two years now. Any of the Bourbon County beers are good really.

funny i was googling what beers to get from chicago because my brother is coming back in town and i wanted him to bring home some zombie dust for me to try. Is that beer hard to find on the shelves?

open for other suggestions as well. We get goose island in VA, including BCBS (wasn't a fan anyways), but other 3F beers, or other beers in general that are worth getting?

I would love to go visit Solemn Oath but as I said in my first post I probably won't have time to visit any breweries.

Klickmania said:
I would love to go visit Solemn Oath but as I said in my first post I probably won't have time to visit any breweries.

If y'all will be eating out at all, I suggest going to Two Brothers Brewery in Warrenville, not far from Naperville. They have a brewpub with great food and its family friendly. So you can visit the brewery and take the family out to eat at the same time.

Had lunch at Two Brothers today on Wes's recommendation and it was freakin awesome! I HIGHLY recommend that place to everybody.

I ended up picking up a 4 pack of Sixpoint Resin, Revolution Doublefist, Pipeworks Hyper Dog, Firestonewalker Union Jack and Doublejack, Two Brothers North Wind, and Grand Teton XX ***** Creek. I'd say I did pretty good! Thanks for all the input fellas!

Back