Rain Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
So I am not sure where to really place this thread so I will start here.
I have always used bottled water for brewing. I feel it is the most important period. I never have used city water or well water. I have tried finding springs in the area I live in too use for brewing. Then I had what i consider trouble an idea. I thought about using rain water for brewing. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of such practices?

If you're going AG, it wouldn't be a good idea. Rain water is basically distilled and won't have the minerals you want.

As rainwater may be contaminated, it is often not considered suitable for drinking without treatment. However, there are many examples of rainwater being used for all purposes — including drinking — following suitable treatment.

Rainwater harvested from roofs can contain animal and bird feces, mosses and lichens, windblown dust, particulates from urban pollution, pesticides, and inorganic ions from the sea (Ca, Mg, Na, K, Cl, SO4), and dissolved gases (CO2, NOx, SOx). High levels of pesticide have been found in rainwater in Europe with the highest concentrations occurring in the first rain immediately after a dry spell;[19] the concentration of these and other contaminants are reduced significantly by diverting the initial flow of water to waste as described above. The water may need to be analysed properly, and used in a way appropriate to its safety. In Gansu province for example, harvested rainwater is boiled in parabolic solar cookers before being used for drinking.[citation needed] In Brazil alum and chlorine is added to disinfect water before consumption.[citation needed] Appropriate technology methods, such as solar water disinfection, provide low-cost disinfection options for treatment of stored rainwater for drinking.

I would stick to bottled water!

HOLY CRAP!!! What have we done to our planet? Thanks for all of the GREAT info.
I am going to stick to the bottled water!

You should really invest in a water filter housing and a good carbon cartridge, it should run around $25 bucks or so if you check out the ametek filters and housings at filtersfast.com. I know bottle water is like 98 cents a gallon but once you pick up a filtering system after a few batches you can scrub off that 6 or 7 dollars you would have been spending on water for every batch and use your house water.

Rain water isn't clean. It's pretty nasty stuff, especially in some places.

Cleaning and sanitizing would probably be fine.

For any water, filtering is going to be your best bet. Gotta get something that takes out everything in your water. For instance, I require a filter that works with chloramine.

I actually have a similar product (upgraded) from a different vendor; air water ice
next_gen_tiii_front

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON_III_AQUARIUM_RO_DI_75_or_100_GPD.html

The one I have is more expensive and more appropriate for reefkeeping. The one I posted above is $60 cheaper and PLENTY good enough for homebrewing. You're welcome to come over and check it out if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back