How to add orange peel and coriander seed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added mine inside a muslin bag at flameout. .5oz of each, orange and corriander. Wish I had gone a full oz now, but still turned out very good.

+1 for directly into the wort. I ran the seeds through a food processor enough to crack the seeds. I used dehydrated orange peels, so I rehydrated them in a few ozs of water for ~5 minutes before adding them 5min before flameout.

I add mine (1 oz for either bitter/sweet orange peel) and ~1/2 ounce of crushed coriander for the last 15 minutes. I put the coriander in a sandwich bag and gently pound it with a hammer until all seeds are crushed. Made many a Belgian batch with this and it works great.

straight to the wort. My AHS belgian wit is awesome after only a week in the bottle.

1 oz of bitter orange peel is way too much IMO. When I used a full oz it made the beer way too orangey. I would stick with 1/2 oz

I did about .75 on both the coriander and orange peel this time. I wanted more flavor in this batch. I think that might be pushing it.

Fresh orange zest from 1 large orange was actually 7/8 oz for me. Smelled so good though.

I added it straight to the wort. One issue, though - a few seed bits later made it into the keg, and they got stuck in the liquid side poppet valve. I found out rather abruptly when I got a small beer fountain when I popped the QD off to move the keg :eek:

I'm brewing a Witbier. How should I add the orange peel and coriander. In a hop bag or just add to the wort like the hops?

I just made a "Gran Marnier Ale" I steeped 1 tablespoon of freshly grated orange peel (only a 2 gallon batch) in a stainless steel tea steeper (about a 2 1/2 inch diameter round ball with a chain, picked up at a cooking store) in the last 15 minutes. (Bittered with Bullions, flavored with Williamettes and Aroma by Cascades). Salud!

for me the bitter orange peal came with the kit and can buy it at the brew store. fresh will have more oils also make sure you dont get the white in there. use a pealer no need to get a zester. for the coriander put in plastic ziploc and the bottome of a pan to crack the seeds. no need to brutalize the seeds. then when i added them i added them to the hop bag.

Should you strain out the orange peel and coriander when adding the wort to the primary?
I did. I think if you leave it in the primary it will taste way too strong. My wit has the perfect balance of coriander and i strained. Not too strong, not too light.

Fresh zest of 1-2 oranges and 1/2 oz of coarsely crushed Indian coriander (not the crappy stuff from the LHBS or mega-mart) 5 min before flameout. I wouldn't use hop bags or anything that late in the boil since you want to ensure you get good diffusion. Whirlpool and rack if you are worried about sucking them up into the fermenter..

I have been wanting to try this. I have never used orange peel before so i am brewing and orange creamsicle wheat this week. I do wa t a lot of orange flavor so my question is this (and this might be a stupid question). If i want to leave the peels in primary after the boil i should probably use a hop bag for the peelings and strain everything else out right?

do you strain out the seeds and orange peel from the wort before you transfer to the primary fermenter or do you just leave it with the wort in the fermenter during primary fermentation?

Cheers,

Eoin

I'm currently in the process of brewing a batch that I used coriander and sweet orange peel. I put both into a hop bag and placed in the boiling wort for the last 15 mins of the boil, then removed before primary fermentation. I've read that you should slightly crush or crack the coriander seeds (say roll with a rolling pin in a ziplock bag) I didn't do this, just tossed them into the hop bag as is.

let us know how it goes, i want a fairly strong flavour so Im thinking of leaving in the primary. Won't be brewing for a few weeks just doing some research so I would be interested to hear how yours turns out

Just made a late addition to my Holiday Ale. Forgot to get the whole seeds at the LHBS, and the l only found ground Coriander at the local supermarket. I boiled about 1/4 jar in about a pint of water for about 10 minutes, and strained the liquid through a coffee filter before adding it to the beer.

Back