Dirty Beer Lines AGAIN!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegchef

Reaction score
I was a bad brewer and neglected my beer lines for the first year and a half I had my keezer. So I recently replaced all my beer lines and made a promise to myself that i would flush the lines with starsan between kegs and every 3rd keg I would use BLC to thoroughly clean the lines. Most of my kegs last me about 2-3 months. I just noticed today that I already have build up in only one of the lines. This specific keg has only been tapped for about a month and I just replaced the lines about a month and half ago. I tried running starsan through the lines to flush it out, it removed some of the debris but there is still a good amount that wont budge. Any ideas how I can stop this gunk from building up in the lines?

I would say you are better to flush with line cleaner more frequently than star San. I would start by breaking down your fittings and clean and sanitize them. Can you describe what it is that you see growing? It could just be sediment. Is the flavor or aroma off?

Agreed. Star San can only sanitize what has already been cleaned. You could alternate between BLC and PBW to clean it and hit it with Stan San to sanitize it.

If this is sediment you might try cutting your tube shorter so it's not sitting right on the bottom of the keg.

This is what I whipped up to quickly flush lines while I'm switching kegs. Not using CO2 from a keg, and I don't have to get my big 4 line pump attachment out every time.

2012-08-13_17-37-47_646.jpg

+1 on the beer line cleaner. I'm still running same lines for about 2 years and they still look like new... I do flush system with beer line cleaner and break down taps at every keg change... I need to break down my kegs and give them a full scrub. I did 1 of 3 last kegging the dip tube was disgusting!

I have a small bottle no pump... been meaning to build one of those.

It's a off white powder looking substance. I think I've read somewhere it's left over yeast matter.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've had my kegerator for probably 3 years now and cleaned the lines once. I didn't notice any change. I wouldn't know if I've got build up on the lines. The beer still tastes the same. Are you noticing some flavor problem from your dirty lines?

On average I try and run hot water through my lines followed by a sanitizer after every keg. I'm actually going to be replacing my lines today when I pick up my ingrediants. Its been about two years, so why not.

I just make sure to keep the beer flowing through my lines as often as I can.

This is a sacrifice, but one I'm willing to make ;)

First run a base through the lines (Oxiclean or PBW) then do a run with acid (like strong starsan or BLC?), then do a flush with water. I do this with Oxiclean and StarSan and it seems to clean everything out just fine.

It's a off white powder looking substance. I think I've read somewhere it's left over yeast matter.

It's actually not yeast, but beer stone. It's proteins from the beer that end up sticking inside the tubing. Even filtered beers (i.e., no yeast) have the same issue with beer stone buildup. BLC is formulated to break it down and clear it out. I've had no issue using BLC every month or so to clean my lines. I also see no need to sanitize them, but YMMV.

Back