Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Just had my first Black and Tan last night at a local Irish bar. I wasn't sure what to expect, maybe too much hype... I don't know. I made sure to ask the bartender if the charged for both beers because I have heard of some bars doing that, they did not.

Anywho, I thought it was delicious! It tasted more complex than either smithwicks or guiness alone and I felt it was tastier than either of them by themselves. I recommend trying it if you have not and do not know what to order.

Just sharing.

Just had my first Black and Tan last night at a local Irish bar. I wasn't sure what to expect, maybe too much hype... I don't know. I made sure to ask the bartender if the charged for both beers because I have heard of some bars doing that, they did not.

Anywho, I thought it was delicious! It tasted more complex than either smithwicks or guiness alone and I felt it was tastier than either of them by themselves. I recommend trying it if you have not and do not know what to order.

Just sharing.

Although I haven't had one in a while, I've always enjoyed a well poured Black and Tan. Interestingly, if you're ever in Ireland, DO NOT order it by that name. The Black and Tan's were an English military unit that was sent to Ireland and caused a bit of trouble. Bad mojo.

Interesting. I figured it were named for the color scheme...

What do they call it over in Ireland?

Interesting. I figured it were named for the color scheme...

What do they call it over in Ireland?

There are a few different names depending on the beers used, but I heard the term "light and bitter " used. Talking with a few bartender's and locals in Dublin pubs led me to think the best idea is to just ask for the two beers you want mixed... they know what to do with them.

In England its not uncommon for it to be served with the two beers completely mixed. No layering. That threw me off the first time. :mug:

Back