Quick CO2 question - Leave it on or off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
So im doing the carbing strategy of 30 PSI for 24 hours, 20 PSI for 24 hours, and then down to serving PSI for 24 hours.

My question: When I crank it to 30 PSI, should I shut off the CO2 and let it? Or should I be leaving my CO2 cranking in at 30 PSI for 24 hours. For my last one I put it at 30 PSI then disconnected the gas, and then reconnected it the next day and set it down to 20... etc..

This is just one detail im not sure if im doing right or wrong.

You need to leave it on. What you are doing there is forcing carbonation into the beer. If you raise it to 30psi and shut off the gas you will get some carbonation but not much. The pressure of the gas is what forces the carbonation, remove the pressure.... Little or no carb.

Let me know how it works for you, I tried to speed up a carb one time and ended up with severely over carbonated beer. After that I just set at serving psi and wait a week.

You need to leave it on. What you are doing there is forcing carbonation into the beer. If you raise it to 30psi and shut off the gas you will get some carbonation but not much. The pressure of the gas is what forces the carbonation, remove the pressure.... Little or no carb.

Let me know how it works for you, I tried to speed up a carb one time and ended up with severely over carbonated beer. After that I just set at serving psi and wait a week.

Well, the one I did a couple batches ago I did leave it on. But I did the 30/20/12 PSI strategy and it worked perfectly for me. My very first beer I did the 30 PSI and shaking it thing and THAT turned out horrible... That sucked... I had foamy beer my whole batch and I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to fix it so 90% of my pours were bad.

This batch ill leave my CO2 on.

Well, the one I did a couple batches ago I did leave it on. But I did the 30/20/12 PSI strategy and it worked perfectly for me. My very first beer I did the 30 PSI and shaking it thing and THAT turned out horrible... That sucked... I had foamy beer my whole batch and I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to fix it so 90% of my pours were bad.

This batch ill leave my CO2 on.

Yeah... my experience was with the shaking thing too... By the time I got it under control most of the beer was gone. Never again!!

:mug:

Yeah... my experience was with the shaking thing too... By the time I got it under control most of the beer was gone. Never again!!

:mug:

Yeah that was my very first kegging experience. and it made me just want to bottle beer, because I felt it was too complicated. Then once you let the next one just sit, and it turns out perfect... You love kegging again.

My only recent issues with kegging is when I changed my seals on new kegs (that held pressure before) I had a couple kegs leak. And I have no idea why. But other than that kegging is freaking awesome.

I'm in the 30 psi for a day and then bleed off pressure, 20 psi for a day and bleed off pressure set to serving pressure a few days and it works well.

I read a post here where a guy set his regulator to serving pressure, rocked the keg a few minutes and it worked well for him. I don't remember how many times he did the keg rock but it wasn't many. I'd try this method but I like to let my kegs sit a few days in the cold (even after cold crashing) so everything settles out. Moving the keg around just seems like it would stir up the little bit of yeast/trub that finds it's way into the keg.

Hi

If you have check valves in your CO2 lines they can make things a bit unpredictable when you crank pressure up and down. You can dump pressure, and come back in a few hours and ... it's up again. I'm sitting here conducting a little experiment on exactly that subject with six kegs at once. Been dumping and checking for about four hours at this point.

Bob

If your keg is chilled to serving temp, you can set your reg for seving pressure and shake carb it without fear of overcarbing. It will take a bit longer than the 30 psi shake method but you won't ever overcarb. I have done this with great success if you are in a hurry.

Back