Sparge question for small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I am looking in to doing a few test batches over the coming months, mainly high abv beers, like Imperial stouts and barleywines. I want to make them around 10L. My question is: The grain bill is going to be pretty big even for a batch of that size, so it's possible that I might collect my total boil volume after my first runnings, or there about anyway. Does this cut out the need to sparge?

Thanks
Graeme

To make good use of your grains, you are going to want to sparge like you normally would for that amount of grain and then boil the hell out of it to reduce the volume.

If you don't sparge, you will leave a ton of sugar behind in the mash and won't hit the gravity you are after.

No... What I am saying is that making a high gravity beer will generally require you to collect a LOT of runnings and conduct a LONG boil. Doesn't matter if you are making 2.5 gallons or 20 gallons.

Either that, or you have to accept a lower efficiency than normal (because you don't want to sparge much) and use more grain to hit your target.

Back