• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - 50' Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41638

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for a 1/2" x 50' Copper IC. It would have to be shipped to 63376 or I am willing to pick up in the STL area.

Please let me know if you have one you are looking to sell!

Thanks!

Have you thought of building one yourself? I did its really easy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought of building one yourself? I did its really easy!!QUOTE]

Yes, except for a couple of things...

#1 - No access to a welder
#2 - With copper at current prices, it'd probably be just as expensive to buy one rather than make one.

If anyone knows of a place to buy a copper coil @ a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it! I know HD/Lowes,etc are around $50-60 for the coil alone. When I was reading some of the DIY's, people were picking up coils for $30-40.

I built mine with a torch, home depot for $20, it came with flux, solder and a wire brush(its a good thing to have for fitting copper tubing). I also picked up a 50 ft coil for $32.00 at lowes. If you want some help with it, I might be able to walk you though it.

I built mine in 25 minutes with help from friend to hold while wraping the coils..
Its 60 foot coil of 3/8
dscn1397.jpg

+1 on building yourself. There is no need to weld or solder you can just bend the tubing and clamp the plastic hose on the ends. It is good to get a tubing bender but the spring type is inexpensive. I think I bought mine at HD for $10 for an assortment of sizes.

This is a very simple and enjoyable project that will save some bucks.

Holy cow i just bought a 50' roll at lowes to make more for my store..it was 35 bucks you have to looke for the refrigerator line or soft copper...and here they had like 5 different grades with different prices and i to only used the spring bender for the top bends..i use a gas can that was 9.5" around for outside and a coffe can for the inside ...Jeff

i'd really get the 3/8 as the restriction is to great in 1/4" when hot and boiling..its a lot of restriction on 3/8 even..just a thought

Holy cow i just bought a 50' roll at lowes to make more for my store..it was 35 bucks you have to looke for the refrigerator line or soft copper...and here they had like 5 different grades with different prices and i to only used the spring bender for the top bends..i use a gas can that was 9.5" around for outside and a coffe can for the inside ...Jeff

Did you buy 3/8" or 1/2"? If it was 3/8", do you happen to know about how much the 1/2" costs?

dont know how much 1/2 costs but i can tell you that 50 foot of 3/8 is more than enought for 5 gallons only 11 minutes if your water is cold ..Jeff

dont know how much 1/2 costs but i can tell you that 50 foot of 3/8 is more than enought for 5 gallons only 11 minutes if your water is cold ..Jeff

I'm planning on starting off doing 5g batches, but will later move up to 10g batches, so I figure do it right the first time!

I have 50ft of 1/2 copper tubing I bought for just under 60.00 a couple of months back...you can have it for that. I have two 50ft rolls of the stuff, they're fun to make:)

Actually, you can have "my" 1/2" 50ft copper IC for the price of the copper and I'll make a new improved one:) lol

Yeah, I went to Home Depot yesterday and a 50' coil of 1/2" was $55.xx and the 50' of 3/8" was $43.xx.

I don't expect there to be a huge price difference, but I'll probably check out Lowe's sometime soon.

Seems cheaper to buy one at this point. Rusty, can you send pics and a price? Where in STL are ya?

I work in the arnold, mo area and live in the Ofallon, IL area. I'll see about getting a pic to you tonight or in the morning.

Oops, forgot you wanted to know the price. With tax, the copper was around 58 and the gardenhose fitting was 3 or 4 bucks. So around 60 total. I get the tubing and clamps free so that helps a bit.

I checked Lowe's last night, and their prices are the same as HDs.

Rusty, let me know about those pics!

In this pic you can see the size difference between the 1/2" and 3/8" which I use in conjunction as a pre-chiller...really handy in the summer time when the tap water is warm.

comparison.jpg

RustyNuts,

What is the diameter of the 1\2" chiller you have? Are you using a HopBlocker with your 15gal kettle and does it interfere?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,
The diameter of the 1/2" is 12" while the diameter of the 15 gal kettle is 16". It's funny you mention the hopBlocker because I just got one recently and while it gave enough room just barely...I will be making a new and improved one at some point to accommodate the hb a little better.

Back